Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insufficient Funds

walangkatapat

I hate going to the grocery store, running my debit card through to pay, and getting a weird stare from the checker quietly saying to me insufficient funds, WTF. Getting home and checking my account online saying -$$$$, WTF. Calling my bank to see what transactions occurred that don't appear online: 29OCT $$$, 29OCT $$$, 29OCT $1, WTF! 30OCT $$$, 30OCT $$$ needless to say I didn't make any of these transactions. Can you say FRAUD, IDENTITY THEFT, SCUM OF THE EARTH, DEATH TO THOSE THAT COMMIT SUCH CRIMES. Cancelled debit card, closed checking accounts, bills due soon, etc, etc, etc... I'll just leave with this, WTF!!!

That sucks..

That's why Credit Cards are my choice.. When problems come up.. you don't get as nasty surprises. They'll still happen.. but it's not your checking account the bank needs to fix. Even if they fix it in 24 hours..

I work for a bank.. I won't touch Debit cards...

ETA. Unfortunately, the same thing can happen with just writing a check...

Edited by BerKim

As someone else here said....there should be a special place in Hell reserved for these Asshats.

I can't recall the specific website right now (I think it's annualcreditreport.com) but you can go through their process, get a free report and get a fraud alert set up on your account(s)/SSN. It won't fix what happened, but it can help prevent unauthorized credit accounts being opened in your name (in case they got more info). You file with one company and it goes to all three credit reporting companies. You provide a phone number to them and any time someone tries to apply for credit with your social, they call the number to make sure it's legit. The good thing is that it's free and you can do it online and over the phone. Most people aren't aware that the credit reporting agencies HAVE to give you a free report once a year if you ask for it. Good luck...I've dealt with this a lot and it just sucks.

I work for a bank.. I won't touch Debit cards...

I got the hard sell from a bank on the debit card - it was interesting watching the "non answer" when I asked "If there is an unauthorized charge on the debit card, will you refund all bounced check fee as well as indemnify me for any bounced check fees imposed by third parties which we caused by your permitting an unauthorized withdrawl?"

Same bank tried to convince me on-line banking was safe. They did not have an answer when I asked "what about that term in the customer agreement you want me to sign where I state that any use of my password, however obtained, is agreed by me to be authorized usage?"

(slight drift)

Noooooo.... NEVER use checks.. ever ever ever!

Especially if you are in or near, DC, New York, Jersey, California or Florida.

(Very high ID theft rates from stolen checks)

Too much information about you and where you live on one nice sheet of paper that you then HAND to a stranger.

Noooo! :blink:

I had the same issue a few years ago. I was working out of town and my wife received a letter saying that the Corvette parts that I ordered were on back order. Fortunately, I have never had any interest in a Corvette, so my wife believed me when I told her I did not buy a 'Vette. The story has a happy ending. The credit union returned our money. The scum bag was prosecuted and convicted.

(slight drift)

Noooooo.... NEVER use checks.. ever ever ever!

Especially if you are in or near, DC, New York, Jersey, California or Florida.

(Very high ID theft rates from stolen checks)

Too much information about you and where you live on one nice sheet of paper that you then HAND to a stranger.

Noooo! :blink:

One of the unauthorized transactions came from Florida.

It sucks to have this happen to anyone, but at the risk of rebutting a hate thread. You should never, ever use a debit card.

I use mine to get cash out of the ATM and that's all it gets used for. I never use it to buy anything.

If someone steals your credit card number, then you have time to resolve the problem before you have to pay the bill, with a debit card, it's your cash straight out of your account and no time to stop it or repair it without a lot of hassle.

I watch my acct like a hawk. I had one charge that had not cleared yet but I was not expecting. I called my bank and asked that they investigate it. Yep, it was coming out of Canada and I hadn't been there in a while. They put a block on the acct and re-issued me a new card the same day, which I got a few days later. I use my debit card as a VISA so I get the same agreement as using a Visa card.. at least that's been my experience. I only log onto my bank acct from computers whose networks I trust and never on a public computer or wi fi network. It's been safe for me, but like anything I monitor the acct regularly. I've charged things online (online game download) and had my bank call me within 5 mins of the charge asking if I did it or not. My wife and I have taken trips to British Columbia and purchased gas on the way up and had the card temporarily blocked due to the credit union thinking it was bogus. I remember getting halfway to BC and my card stopped working, switched to a credit card and then called my bank and asked, "WTF?". Once they knew I was legit, they removed the block.. But all in all, I agree, there should be a special place in hell for these nimrods..

agree with the special place for these bozos..

I am on my accounts almost everyday..watching things..

only institution to ever double check my charges is my credit union..had one small charge and within 2 hours they were on the phone to me double checking..