Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Replacement

dcarter

This is more of a census than anything else. I've been using a Dawson F/O front sight on my M&P for just over 9 months. I've noticed that the front of the sight is starting to look pretty thin. It hasn't broken but is wearing down from all the use. The question I have is how often should you have to replace the front sight? I can't afford to do this too often but I don't want to get to a big match and find myself guessing where my next shot is going to land.

The fiber is easy to replace, if you can't afford it, send me your address and I'll give you some for free. It only take a pair of finger nail clippers and a lighter and about 1 minute to replace it.

Replacing it before a big match is pretty common practice.

I think you misunderstood. It's not the fiber optic but the front part of the sight itself that is getting worn down. I guess I've been trying to take a leason from PB and dry fire till it hurts. And it's only going to get worse with the shooting season coming to an end for me. I plan on doing a lot of it in the coming months.

The first fiber lasted 2 years, the second, 1 month. Took another 2 years until I replaced the sight. Figured out that I call my shots better with black sights.

Edited by wide45

I will collect my camera back from my wife and see if I can post one. If you are familiar with the Dawson sight, it is the front portion of the sight only that is wearing down. It doesn't ruin my sight picture because the rear portion is still square but I'm worried that it will break at an inopportune time.

That is a bit weird. I'm not sure that I've heard about wear on a sight.

Have you been hunting bear with Merlin ?

Maybe you are looking at the front sight too hard.

Seriously, that is a new one to me. Is this you duty or EDC gun? Maybe it is rubbing while it rides around all day ?

Sorry the pictures are kinda fuzzy. I'm not very good at this new fangled computer stuff yet. :huh: And yes Flex we do have Superman powers. Faster than most shot timers can pick us up, able to leap fault lines in a single bound and can see through low ports with our x-ray vision.