Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder for moly coated bullets

tk4

I shoot limited 40, but with the rising cost of bullets I am going to start practicing with my 9mm sti. I am going to be using 125 gr moly coated bullets to keep costs down. I am looking for suggestions on what powder to use. I would like to make around 145pf safely, since I am practicing for major 40 loads, not minor. I also need a powder that will not burn off the moly coating, because I am trying to keep my lead level in check. Any suggestions on a powder that will accomplish both. Thanks.

I've tried titegroup, alliant e3, and n320. Out of the bunch, n320 was the best in terms of smoke. It's just too bad it's the most expensive also. I've heard that Ramshot competition might be a good choice although I've never tried it personally.

I've tried Bullseye with Precision .40s, American Select with Master Blaster .38s, Clays with Billy Bullets .38s, and Unique with Precision 9s. The Precision loads left little to no residue; the Master Blasters (now apparently out of business) left lots of tough residue, and the Billys left a little, easily cleaned residue. For your application (125s at 1160+ fps) I'd go with Unique or a powder in that burning speed range like N340, WSF, Solo 1250, Universal Clays or 7625. Actually, I'm guessing that 147s to 160s would work better to simulate your .40, but the 125s work well in 9x19.

for 145 powerfactor, HS6 and AA#7 would be about the only two i would use with moly bullets.

seems the powder residue from the two keeps bullet gunk from building up in the barrel.. though with #7, your powder cost might offset the bullet cost.

Harmon

I've tried titegroup, alliant e3, and n320. Out of the bunch, n320 was the best in terms of smoke. It's just too bad it's the most expensive also. I've heard that Ramshot competition might be a good choice although I've never tried it personally.

Out of those, only one was single base: N-320.

Another single base powder is: Solo 1000.

What makes a powder double-base? The addition of nitroglicerin. Single base has NONE.

What powder has the highest nitro content? Titegroup, 37%.

What powder has a reputation for burning hot? Titegroup.

What causes coated and exposed lead base bullets to smoke? Heat.

Use single base V V or Solo 1000 with coated bullets.

Out of those, only one was single base: N-320.

Another single base powder is: Solo 1000.

What makes a powder double-base? The addition of nitroglicerin. Single base has NONE.

What powder has the highest nitro content? Titegroup, 37%.

What powder has a reputation for burning hot? Titegroup.

What causes coated and exposed lead base bullets to smoke? Heat.

Use single base V V or Solo 1000 with coated bullets.

I shoot the moly coated bullets in 9mm (147g), at about a 135pf.

I've used Titegroup, N320, N330 - there was really not a discernable difference in the amount of smoke that I saw out of either my stock Glock barrel or KKM barrel.

The times that I notice the smoke while shooting is usually on a stand & shoot (like El Prez) stage where there's no breeze and/or high humidity.

I use WST for cast practice rounds, Precision and Masterblaster bullets. Clean shooting, low smoke, accurate and cheap. I'm loading minor 40 SW at around 135PF.

Another powder that I tried was Clays for low PF loads. It was clean but the accuracy wasn't there. I plan to pick up a pound of Solo 1000 in the near future and see how it works out.

Edited by Throwin Lead

I use WST for cast practice rounds, Precision and Masterblaster bullets. Clean shooting, low smoke, accurate and cheap. I'm loading minor 40 SW at around 135PF.

Another powder that I tried was Clays for low PF loads. It was clean but the accuracy wasn't there. I plan to pick up a pound of Solo 1000 in the near future and see how it works out.

One powder I was considering that no one has mentioned is allient power pistol. It seems like it would be good for getting a hot 9mm load, and the guy at precision said it should burn slow enough not to burn off the moly. Any thoughts.

alliant power pistol is HOT, it burns hot, fireballs, smoking hot barrel and hot ejected brass.

i dont think i would use any of the faster powders for 145 plus power factor, however you may choose otherwise.

Harmon

I See alot of mentinos of Solo 1000 here (on the BE Boards) but not many other places. Can someone point me towards 9mm data for Solo 1000? My Lee Loading book does not have it.

9mm data for Solo 1000 doesn't exist, at least not in the published books. That said, I use 3.2 grains behind 147's loaded pretty short for my 9 minor loads and really like it. Soft shooting and really clean with jacketed OR moly.

I couldn't get a 147 moly bullet to go straight with Titegroup to save my ***. I haven't had one tumble with Solo 1000 for what it's worth.

For 9mm 147 data, SLM is correct. Use his data. For all other 9mm weights, and also Major 40 data with Solo 1000, look at the following CHART or cut & paste this link:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ost&id=6758

I have it taped to my jug of Solo 1000. I am using in in 45ACP, 40 major and 9 minor. It is my replacement for N320 and N310.