Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SNL (Sometimes Not Legal)

JThompson

I can now get 30 rounds of 9mm in my mag. :surprise: That's 31 with a Barney. Man if we could just find a way to get one more... no miss no reload! :)

EDIT: STI 170s with spacers.

Jim I think I am going to start using that drum attached to the single stack mag for 51 (barney) rounds, definetly no mag switches then :lol:

I can now get 30 rounds of 9mm in my mag. :surprise: That's 31 with a Barney. Man if we could just find a way to get one more... no miss no reload! :)

Will it fit into the guage?

Yup, both were checked via the jig at NIS. ;) The bottoms are pretty thin though and don't like to hit the gravel without some damage. I'm going to order some more for WHEN these crack.

EDIT: I was thinking of making a pad jacket... something you could just slip over them when using them and then take it off if needed to gauge... would that be legal?

Edited by JThompson

Jim I think I am going to start using that drum attached to the single stack mag for 51 (barney) rounds, definetly no mag switches then :lol:

The way you shoot Coot ya need it. :P

Will it fit into the guage?

Yup, both were checked via the jig at NIS. ;) The bottoms are pretty thin though and don't like to hit the gravel without some damage. I'm going to order some more for WHEN these crack.

If you fit one more in that mag and it works, people are going to want to know your secret.

Edited by mjbine

Good for you JT- I can only get 20 in my 140mm mag. I have been hearing alot that like 85% don't fit the gauge- sounds like we got lucky...I want to get more, but am afraid of wasting my money on pads that won't gauge legally.

EDIT: I was thinking of making a pad jacket... something you could just slip over them when using them and then take it off if needed to gauge... would that be legal?

I don't think so. It's like having a +4 pad on and taking it off when gauging.

Edited by racerba

snl?

a buddy of mine should me his 140 mm SPS with grams pad, spring, and follower. he gets 21 in the mag.

lynn

I have heard and seen a lot of bad things about them as well. Seem there is not really a way to "re-invent the wheel" here...

snl?

a buddy of mine should me his 140 mm SPS with grams pad, spring, and follower. he gets 21 in the mag.

lynn

SNL= Sometimes not legal.

It would be nice to have something to protect the bottom of the pad... I spose cause it makes sence and in no way could be seen as something that would increase cap, it will be ruled illegal. :P

I went up and grabbed the mags and did another test... this time I could get 29, but the 30th wouldn't go. I know I had 30 in there last night because I was so shocked I pulled them back out and counted 30. Strange that.... skinny brass? :P Anyway, it doesn't look like it's going to be a consistent 30. Also, I don't even know if I could seat that thing with 30. I never tried and took out the extra round before I shot the stage.

I think I could prob get it to go all the time if I took a little off the spring, but I'm leary of doing so given that these mags run perfect as is. As long as you are going to have to reload anyway, I don't see and great shakes in having one extra round that could cause trouble..... besides, if I have to shoot more than 20 chances are I shot a makeup or two in that lot. :)

Edited by JThompson

snl?

lynn

It would be nice to have something to protect the bottom of the pad... I spose cause it makes sence and in no way could be seen as something that would increase cap, it will be ruled illegal. :P

I went up and grabbed the mags and did another test... this time I could get 29, but the 30th wouldn't go. I know I had 30 in there last night because I was so shocked I pulled them back out and counted 30. Strange that.... skinny brass? :P Anyway, it doesn't look like it's going to be a consistent 30. Also, I don't even know if I could seat that thing with 30. I never tried and took out the extra round before I shot the stage.

I think I could prob get it to go all the time if I took a little off the spring, but I'm leary of doing so given that these mags run perfect as is. As long as you are going to have to reload anyway, I don't see and great shakes in having one extra round that could cause trouble..... besides, if I have to shoot more than 20 chances are I shot a makeup or two in that lot. :)

Ouch :bow: Ya I had a few misses but I did beet duane. I kind of use him as a gauge becuase we both started about the same time and have the same amount of matches under our belts.

snl?

lynn

Ouch :bow: Ya I had a few misses but I did beet duane. I kind of use him as a gauge becuase we both started about the same time and have the same amount of matches under our belts.

I think we all started around the same time... I might have a few months on you. I think I shot my first match about 6m ago. You don't shoot bad... you gun handling skills are better than I see in a lot of guys that have been doing it a lot longer. What I have noticed is you not calling each shot. I see you shoot the first, and double tap, the second... not all the time, but I ran you and could see it when it happened. If it takes an extra bit of time to see what you need to see then you need to take it. I guess I shouldn't talk because I shot a D last night. :o At the ranges we were shooting... we shouldn't be shooting anything but As. If that takes .5 splits, for you, then you need to take the time. It's a lot harder to get accuracy AFTER speed, than it is to get accuracy first. Trust me... I was going balls to the wall and thought it was okay cause I hit the paper. You do that and the NS and misses will eat you.

snl?

lynn

I think we all started around the same time... I might have a few months on you. I think I shot my first match about 6m ago. You don't shoot bad... you gun handling skills are better than I see in a lot of guys that have been doing it a lot longer. What I have noticed is you not calling each shot. I see you shoot the first, and double tap, the second... not all the time, but I ran you and could see it when it happened. If it takes an extra bit of time to see what you need to see then you need to take it. I guess I shouldn't talk because I shot a D last night. :o At the ranges we were shooting... we shouldn't be shooting anything but As. If that takes .5 splits, for you, then you need to take the time. It's a lot harder to get accuracy AFTER speed, than it is to get accuracy first. Trust me... I was going balls to the wall and thought it was okay cause I hit the paper. You do that and the NS and misses will eat you.

Ya I am working on the shot calling, I think my biggest part is not seeing my sights at times. Those barrells with the echo really screwed me up my game. I seem to forget the front sight at times and just go by point which doesn't work unless you are extremly close. I am also working on putting more grip pressure on with my left hand as I have found I am pulling shots to the left alot.

I've got two 170s for 38SC and I get an easy 29 in both of them. One is an STI tube, the other an SPS tube and both have Grams 6mm pads on them (or are they 6.5mm???) I bought a gauge for our club last week and both fit it, but there wasn't any wiggle room left. I think I could probably get 30 in the SPS tube (Grams tuned) but I doubt I could seat it. Honestly, I'm okay with 29 rounds in them...it's not likely there won't be a place to reload somewhere in a long field course. I'm getting 23 rounds in all my 140s with 11mm Grams on them (they'r reloadable). Had to put the Arredondo inserts in them to keep the follower from binding, but after that they've been perfect. I figure I start out with 30 in the gun and get another 23 with a reload...that should handle any COF I can imagine. I'd be curious to see how the SNL pads would compare with the Grams pads...interesting, but I'm not spending the cash to try it just yet.

I've got two 170s for 38SC and I get an easy 29 in both of them. One is an STI tube, the other an SPS tube and both have Grams 6mm pads on them (or are they 6.5mm???) I bought a gauge for our club last week and both fit it, but there wasn't any wiggle room left. I think I could probably get 30 in the SPS tube (Grams tuned) but I doubt I could seat it. Honestly, I'm okay with 29 rounds in them...it's not likely there won't be a place to reload somewhere in a long field course. I'm getting 23 rounds in all my 140s with 11mm Grams on them (they'r reloadable). Had to put the Arredondo inserts in them to keep the follower from binding, but after that they've been perfect. I figure I start out with 30 in the gun and get another 23 with a reload...that should handle any COF I can imagine. I'd be curious to see how the SNL pads would compare with the Grams pads...interesting, but I'm not spending the cash to try it just yet.

I think we are both on the same page. ;)

I could pull one of my SNLs and send it over to you to check out if ya like?

Jim

Maybe I am wrong here- but it isn't an issue of not having a place to do a reload. It is the advantage of being able to have enough rounds not to do a reload. On a 31 rounds course I am sure there are places for a Production shooter to do reloads- but will have the added time of doing those reloads. I understand that you can reload while moving and such- but you still save a chunk of time not having to do even a clean reload- let alone one that may be "fumbled". JMHO

Maybe I am wrong here- but it isn't an issue of not having a place to do a reload. It is the advantage of being able to have enough rounds not to do a reload. On a 31 rounds course I am sure there are places for a Production shooter to do reloads- but will have the added time of doing those reloads. I understand that you can reload while moving and such- but you still save a chunk of time not having to do even a clean reload- let alone one that may be "fumbled". JMHO

You have to look at it like this as well. Say you have a 30 round stage with one spot to do a reload while moving that isn't going to cost you any time, cause we all bang 1 second reloads while moving right :-). Anyway, will you shoot that stage as fast with your 30 rounder and not do a reload as you would if you started with a 30 rounder shot 20, then reloaded with 23 more? It was a discussion me and a couple masters, a GM had one day, actually they had the discussion I just listend lol. The GM's point was, and this was on a 21 round stage with 4 targets then moved up to a port for 17 more shots, shoot the 4 and reload because you can go your normal speed on the remaining 17 because you know you had some make up shots available if need be and won't have to do a standing reload. Master shoots, 21 I think with out a miss, GM does a reload and beats him.

You have to look at it like this as well. Say you have a 30 round stage with one spot to do a reload while moving that isn't going to cost you any time, cause we all bang 1 second reloads while moving right :-). Anyway, will you shoot that stage as fast with your 30 rounder and not do a reload as you would if you started with a 30 rounder shot 20, then reloaded with 23 more? It was a discussion me and a couple masters, a GM had one day, actually they had the discussion I just listend lol. The GM's point was, and this was on a 21 round stage with 4 targets then moved up to a port for 17 more shots, shoot the 4 and reload because you can go your normal speed on the remaining 17 because you know you had some make up shots available if need be and won't have to do a standing reload. Master shoots, 21 I think with out a miss, GM does a reload and beats him.

wow. Interesting theory. I am assuming you were talking limited guys on a 21 rd stage?

wow. Interesting theory. I am assuming you were talking limited guys on a 21 rd stage?

Yup, I used the 30 round example cause I thought where talking open but the 21 round stage happened.

I think we are both on the same page. ;)

I could pull one of my SNLs and send it over to you to check out if ya like?

Jim

JT,

Thanks for the offer....it's really not that important to bother with, just something interesting to compare one of these days. I figure the next time I shoot with someone who's using them I'll put them side-by-side and hopefully gauge them. It's really nice to have the extra choices. I did notice that 140mm STI tubes with the standard Dawson +1 are quite a bit shorter than the same tubes with Grams 4mm pads which barely fit the gauge for Limited.

I have had a chance to play around with one of the SNL base pads on my 170MM tube (.38 Super) and easily 28 without dinking around with my spring or follower. If I were to try different followers and springs I have a darned good feeling I could get 29 without blinking. The way I look at it is, with more rounds in the gun on a shorter stage I have one less thing to worry about and can focus more on the dot/target relationship instead of thinking, "Ok I had one make up shot, if I need to make one more I will need to reload over there then....." You know what I mean?

Yeah, you can bet your butt I will be getting some soon.

Joe W.