Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor 40 loads

VeryBadshot

You might need a chrono! I believe they must be loaded to factory length. Going the 1.2 route might produce loads that do not fit in the magazine. You might want to test that out first.

I am a big fan of VV320, it seems to burn clean and easy to clean up afterwards.

I shoot a MP 40 (full size) in production and have found several different loads that work well.

My favorite is 3.45 g of WST, WSP primer Masterblaster 180gr bullet OAL 1.125 makes 135 PF. Although I didn't have any feeding issues I changed the spring to a 13#. The spring change made a positive difference in the cycling action of the gun.

Check out the posted link - I listed several different minor loads in that thread that I worked up this season.

What ever you load a chrono is a must - there lies the proof!

YMMV

Edited by Throwin Lead

VBS - What bullet weight and powder?

Chuck Iam totally open here. Have been thinking the weight would be 180's , but like I said open on both. The M&P 40 is going to be shared between my friend and his GF. Both are new shooters, he's doing great with WWB 165's which are a little much for her at this point. She does much better 150PF loads I had. So again open to suggestion B)

From Hornady's current (7th edition) manual, listed as giving 750 fps/135 PF with 180 grain lead bullets at 1.125" OAL:

Titegroup - 2.1 grains

Bullseye - 3.4 grains

Universal Clays - 3.8 grains

231 - 3.8 grains

N340 - 4.0 grains'

4756 - 5.4 grains

AA #5 - 5.8 grains

For 180 grain XTPs at 800 fps/144 PF (same OAL):

Universl Clays - 4.2 grains

N340 - 4.4 grains

Power Pistol - 4.6 grains

WAP (aka Silhouette) - 5.2 grains

4756 - 5.6 grains

800X - 5.0 grains

AA #5 - 5.7 grains

Blue Dot - 6.3 grains

AA #7 - 7.4 grains

Same bullet and OAL from Hodgdon's 2007 Annual Manual:

HP38 - 4.1 grains/797 fps

Clays - 3.0 grains/727 fps (max is 3.5 grains)

That oughta get ya started. ;)

berry's 180gr plated. loaded to 1.130 nominal overal length. 4.0 grains of titegroup gives about a 140pf (chrono stage gave back 141.6 IIRC). Thta's out of my 4" M&P 40.

4.5 grains gave me about 156pf. with the same setup. At less than 4.0 grains, and more than 4.5 accuracy fell off. Severely above 4.5 Onm the ame day, at an 8" plate at 50 yards, with 4.5 grains I wasn't even using the whole plate, at 4.7 grains, I could barely hit it, and the recoil really didn't feel noticably different.

percison moly coated lead 185s seated to 1.135 nominal OAL with 4.5gr of titegroup gave me 175pf with a SD of only about 14. Extreme spread was 24. A very consistant load, but since it was a little smokier than the plated or jacketed stuff, I dind't get to test for accuracy as a burned up more than I wanted getting a slod string of 10 rounds chronoed.

I also tried berry's 180gr with universal clays. 5.0 grains gave me 165PF exacltly. SD was 22 though, so it was a bit all over the place. Extreme spread was in the 40s (i'd have to hit up the notebook to say exactly).

• 3 weeks later...
Question on some of the loads.

What would anyone say it's running per 50 for cost on any of these loads?

I am trying to figure out the real difference in cost between this type of .40 load compared to 9mm.

try handloads.com they have a online calculator that will give you the cost. for a genral idea figure about 2 cents a primer 2 cents powder then add your price per bullet.

Steve

Nice calculator --

My minor .40 runs about $7/50 with components purchased in bulk:

8lb Tightgroup $115

2500 MG 180gr $275

5000 WSP primers $105

brass...free, more or less, from scrounging.

Ouch. But ~3.7gr of TG behind a 180gr JHP is an awful nice minor load for a Glock 35.