Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Makes Jerry Miculek So Good?

Gunmac

Thread drift on:

What if.........all the big Gun Maker's held a "try-out" every few years to recruit new talent.....

Starting anual salary $ 100,000 (a 4yr deal).....All expenses paid to any level II-III match you wanted to attend.

What would be your stragety to win a slot to represent a top sponsor.???????

Strange as it sounds, I think I would pass.

I love shooting matches, but I don't enjoy practicing very much. I think it would very quickly start to feel like work.

Thread drift on:

What if.........all the big Gun Maker's held a "try-out" every few years to recruit new talent.....

Starting anual salary $ 100,000 (a 4yr deal).....All expenses paid to any level II-III match you wanted to attend.

Strange as it sounds, I think I would pass.

I love shooting matches, but I don't enjoy practicing very much. I think it would very quickly start to feel like work.

I turned my computer hobby into my profession for several years. I learned to hate computers very quickly. Now I have moved onto other ventures but my "hobby" computing is still pretty much dead.

-ld

I have never met the man and don't understand how a 55+ year old stays on top of the competition.

I am in the same age group with my eye sight fading and reflexes slowing down. Jerry on the other hand beats all challengers with ease.

Does he have some unique physical characteristics to account for his dominance?

Tom

............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.................

He gets paid to do it.............

Thread drift on:

Keep in mind, there's alot of great amateur talent out there......What's your game plan to "Turn Pro"? basically.

Great question Dan.

I would do what ever it took. I would take some classes from some of the greats. Set a practise regimen that became gospel.

I suggested to my wife, that if we won the multi million dollar lottery, that I would like to pick 5 gifted shooters ( mortals ) and me, put us all on good wages for 3 years, and offer all of the best equipment, to see if that realy did make the difference. You often hear the " excuse" that someone else won the match because they are a paid pro. I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing, however, I believe that given the opportunity, there are many gifted shooters, that are not in a position, or won't put themselves into a position to go the extra mile, and see what they can actually achieve with their talents. I am not necessarily one of the gifted ones, and to my own disgust, I let life take over, and shooting gets the back seat at the moment. I guess it is all about priorities, and, unfortunately I can't pay house payments with prize money ( not my prize money ) anyway.

Mark :cheers:

I first saw Jerry shoot at Second Chance in the early 1980's. I think at that time he was a Deputy Sheriff. They don't make the big bucks. <_< He was good back then.

People aren't good shooters because they are sponsored.

They are sponsored because they are good shooters. :)

Why is Jerry so good?

He wants to be more than you and me, and anyone else. It doesn't hurt that he has a good set of genes and opportunity, but above all he mentally wants it!

It doesn't matter how good (talent) one is, it doesn't matter how much they are paid, it doesn't matter how much they practice. MENTAL attitude is the key to long term greatness as displayed by Jerry M, Rob L, Doug K, Bruce P, Brian E, Brian Zins, Jim Collins, Phil Hemphill, Bill Blankinship, John Pride, Mickey Fowler and more.

There are many one hit wonders who possess great talent and experience some luck at any given momment. But the great ones (sorry Rob there are more than one) are able to perform at levels higher than anyone else, time and time again because they possess the added ingredient of MENTAL toughness and the desire to continue to improve "their" skills. They don't get too wrapped around what others are doing, but they are highly focused on what needs to be done to execute the shot and then repeat it, with more precision or more speed as needed. They like us, are always striving to improve. The training regiment of these guys would wear us out. To these guys their shooting is akin to a workout at great intensity both physically and mentally.

If you can invision it, and if you want it, you will figure out how to acquire it. All these guys have done all three, and it isn't about the money. All of these guys could likely pick up golf clubs and in a few years they could probably make more money playing golf than what shooting pays. That old saying "put your mind to it" is the story.

MJ :cheers:

A local gun shop owner who he and his wife are friends with Jerry and Kay told me a story a couple years ago about Jerry. He said that back when Jerry was driving around a delivery truck (before being sponsor by Smith) he had a frame of a revovler mounted to a platform in his truck and that he would do a minimum of 1000 dry fire pulls a day. Just driving around pulling a trigger.

I would say that he is so good because he wants to be, dedication to being the best.