Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drill and tap sizes for a Bomar

cking

My new STI didn't come drilled for the Bomar. So what size drill and tap do I need. Also any hints on installation will be appreciated.

I usually just knock off the sharp edges on sight and slide, drive them in a little way then back out and see how much interference I'm getting then correct it. Clean loctite and drive till centered on the slide.

Any better way????

Thanks in Advance

My new STI didn't come drilled for the Bomar. So what size drill and tap do I need. Also any hints on installation will be appreciated.

I usually just knock off the sharp edges on sight and slide, drive them in a little way then back out and see how much interference I'm getting then correct it. Clean loctite and drive till centered on the slide.

Any better way????

Thanks in Advance

You will need a #31 drill and a #6-48 tap. You seem to have your act together. Just make sure the dovetail is not too tight so as to distort the base when being pushed into place.

Glad to read I'm not the only one that's broken a 6-48 tap. I was using a tapered tap. Bad. After having the broken bastard removed I finished tapping using a plug tap. The steeper cutting angle at the tip seemed to work better.

I couldn't get the fingers of my tap remover down in the holes. I had to have it EDM'd out. Fortunately I found a place semi-locally with an EDM drill. Perfect hole afterwards, left all my threads intact. Life..er, Slide saver!