Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shot always high?

Chris iliff

I shoot an STI Competitor in 38 super w/C-More . I have noticed that my first shot is always high and then the gun shoots dead on the dot every shot after the first. If I keep shooting, the gun shoots where I aim, if I take a few minutes to reload or inspect targets the gun will shoot high first shot. Is this a heating cooling problem? I am at a loss and need some help?

How much high is the first shot? An inch, four inches, etc?

Does the first shot of the day shoot high also? Or is it possibly the first shot after letting a round cook in the warm/hot chamber while inspecting targets etc.

There's no way to know if a round that's hot or been cooked will hit higher or lower until you test it to find out for certain...especially on a gun with a comp. Faster bullets usually hit lower (they exit the bore earlier in it's rising arc) but again, the comp issue complicates things. Unless he's using a reverse temp sensitive powder that would lower velocity as it got hotter and then it gets interesting.

I'm not sure I understand when you said if stot shooting a while it will do it again.

If it's always the first shot after loading, then it's the barrel fit.

Hand cycling the gun doesnt seat the barrel as if it were cycled by fireing.

If you shoot the first shot high, shoot some, leave the gun loaded and wait to cool, THEN have a high shot.... I'm at a loss.

Dry.

Fire.

Steve.

:)

Got both of your books and "With Winning in Mind", I dry fire your drills 4-5 days a week. It's definitely not Dry Fire, but you could help me with your mental program. Does it change for different stages, or is it always 2 Alphas at your natural speed?

Does the first shot of the day shoot high also? Or is it possibly the first shot after letting a round cook in the warm/hot chamber while inspecting targets etc.

There's no way to know if a round that's hot or been cooked will hit higher or lower until you test it to find out for certain...especially on a gun with a comp. Faster bullets usually hit lower (they exit the bore earlier in it's rising arc) but again, the comp issue complicates things. Unless he's using a reverse temp sensitive powder that would lower velocity as it got hotter and then it gets interesting.

First shot is 4 to 5 inches high. I use Ramshot True Blue and currently use 124 FMJ Precision Delta's with 8.8 grains of powder. You have given me some things to check and I appreciate the response and your time. Thanks and I'll let you know after some testing.

First shot is 4 to 5 inches high. I use Ramshot True Blue and currently use 124 FMJ Precision Delta's with 8.8 grains of powder. You have given me some things to check and I appreciate the response and your time. Thanks and I'll let you know after some testing.

4 to 5 INCHES? At what distance?

That does sound like a ton for a first shot problem... if it does the same off a sandbag I would check to see if maybe you have some lead build up in the comp.

That does sound like a ton for a first shot problem... if it does the same off a sandbag I would check to see if maybe you have some lead build up in the comp.

I'm at 10 to 12 yards. My Father also suggested lead in the comp. I will know more after my practice session tomorrow thanks again! I haven't done the sandbag, but will tomorrow.

I'm at 10 to 12 yards. My Father also suggested lead in the comp. I will know more after my practice session tomorrow thanks again! I haven't done the sandbag, but will tomorrow.

Good luck... let us know what it was...

I cleaned the comp with a dremel tool and the little round ball thingy. Problem is gone. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!. Shot an El Prez at the match today and it was the best El Prez I have ever shot. If your reading this Mr. Anderson-... THANK-YOU!!! dry fire works,..go figure huh? Took me 2 1/2 yrs to figure it out!!

• 3 weeks later...

I cleaned the comp with a dremel tool and the little round ball thingy. Problem is gone. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!. Shot an El Prez at the match today and it was the best El Prez I have ever shot. If your reading this Mr. Anderson-... THANK-YOU!!! dry fire works,..go figure huh? Took me 2 1/2 yrs to figure it out!!

Glad to hear it worked out for you. It's nice to know I helped. Congrats on the Prez. I just remembered this thread and went looking to see if you got it fixed.

Edited by JThompson