Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester vs Zero

Cruiser

I need some education and recommendation on bullet type and weight.

I am new to reloading and looking for advice on 9mm round for a Glock 17 & 19.

I have narrowed my bullet selection down to a 115 gr. and 125gr. in Winchester FMJ and JHP and Zero FMJ and JHP. I currently do not compete and all my shooting is done at paper targets in an indoor range.

I am looking for the cheapest round to shoot (so I can shoot more of them) which leads me to a Winchester 115 gr FMJ.

My 2 questions are this:

1. What do I gain going to a more expensive JHP, or a heavier 124 gr. in the Winchester

2. Although the cost is higher, is their any advantage to me using Zero bullets over Winchester in either the FMJ/JHP or 115/124.

As an after thought, is FMJ or JHP easier to reload for the beginner?

THANKS!

For paper target plinking I use the Zero 9mm 115 gr FMJ bullet, purchased from Angus. A lot of suppliers are out of stock depending on what bullet you decide you want. I also use Zero bullets in my USPSA Open gun, very good quality.

First off, welcome!

Second, you may want to explore prices a bit more. For example, right now Powder Valley lists 115gr JHPs from Win and Zero, with the Zeros being cheaper ($63 per K when you buy 3K) than Win ($73 per K when you buy two K...no 3K option). PV is out of the 115JHPs (talked with them today, but they have been getting a lot of shipments in from the sounds of things), but even in the other weights and styles, the prices are at most a couple of dollars difference between the two.

If you're shooting indoors, JHPs or TMJs are better because they don't have an exposed lead base. Most of the lead that gets into your system comes from the primer detonation rather than the hot gas melting lead off the exposed base of an FMJ, but still, there's no need to add any additional lead into the air when you're shooting if you can avoid it.

For the shooting you're doing, bullet weight isn't a factor other than in price, so go with what you can get cheaper.

I haven't used any Winchester bullets lately (other than in loaded ammo), but years ago I shot some with very good results.

I have yet to use a Zero that hasn't performed extremely well in .40, .45, .38Super/Supercomp....great bullets.

No difference in ease of loading between the two bullets so don't worry about that at all. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

+1 on the no exposed lead, especially if you shoot indoors.

I would use berrys plated bullets, as i have had really good luck with them. They are cheaper than FMJ but dont smoke. I give up a little accuracy over the MG JHP i prefer, but the cost difference makes it worth it.

9mm, 124 grain berrys Plated round nose, 4.0 grains TITEGROUP, fed 200 primer and 1.150 OAL, makes a touch over 138 power factor in my Glock 34, should be about right in a shorter gun, on par with factory ammo.

Hope this helps

Harmon

+1 on the no exposed lead, especially if you shoot indoors.

I would use berrys plated bullets, as i have had really good luck with them. They are cheaper than FMJ but dont smoke. I give up a little accuracy over the MG JHP i prefer, but the cost difference makes it worth it.

9mm, 124 grain berrys Plated round nose, 4.0 grains TITEGROUP, fed 200 primer and 1.150 OAL, makes a touch over 138 power factor in my Glock 34, should be about right in a shorter gun, on par with factory ammo.

Hope this helps

Harmon

another +1 here.

plated bullets are cheaper than the jacketed variety and will allow you to shoot more for less money.

if smoke isn't an issue, you may want to look into lead bullets. even cheaper than plated. i'd take my own advice on lead bullets but i hate the smoke :wacko:

Edited by yoshidaex