Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR9

Middle Man

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you who have tried the trigger and say it is awful, did you dry fire it with the magazine in the gun ? With the magazine removed, the magazine disconnect safety will drag on the striker and make the trigger pull feel terrible.

The purpose of a magazine disconnect is to prevent the gun from firing without the magazine... Unless this one engages a firing pin block, I don't see how it could be dry fired without a mag???

And yes, when I dry fired it, the mag was in.

When I first seen it the first thing that came to my mind is it looks like a S&W Sigma.

It is basically an updated Glock. It looks to me like the folks at Ruger pretty much copied a Glock, they added the XD mag release and loaded chamber indicator and an ambi thumb safety. It fits me much better than a Glock, actually it fit the hand quite nicely.

The trigger on this one weighed in at 8#'s and was VERY rough, awefull really.

I tore one apart today and the trigger can be fixed up fairly easily. The machining is Ruger rough, and it took a bit of finishing up, but a decent 5.5# break isn't that hard to get. I'm sure it can get even better, but without spare parts I'm not going to experiment on a loaner gun too much.

If I can get some parts from Ruger to ruin, I might see if I can get it into the 3.5# range with stock parts.

I haven't shot this yet, but I'll post up something once I do.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

For all of you who have tried the trigger and say it is awful, did you dry fire it with the magazine in the gun ? With the magazine removed, the magazine disconnect safety will drag on the striker and make the trigger pull feel terrible.

The purpose of a magazine disconnect is to prevent the gun from firing without the magazine... Unless this one engages a firing pin block, I don't see how it could be dry fired without a mag???

And yes, when I dry fired it, the mag was in.

The gun will not fire a chambered round with the magazine removed, but you can still pull the trigger with the mag removed, and the striker will move a bit before it is stopped by the disconnect safety. The manual warns against doing this as it could damage some parts if done repeatedly, but even if not done frequently, it will make the trigger pull feel quite bad while you are doing it. I'm sure this gun doesn't have the best triger feel in the world. I'm just saying that for those who want to see what it really feels like, check it by dry firing it with the magazine inserted.......or better yet, rent or borrow one and head to the range.

Guns and ammo has a new article about this gun from the January issue at their website....www.gunsandammomag.com. It looks like a decent offering. I guess time will tell how it is received by the shooting public. I myself have never liked any Ruger handgun, but this one is pretty interesting.

Edited by alzo

Update, the SR9 was fun to shoot, it was accurate enough, very little recoil. It is thinner than a 1911 and fit my hands very well. The only complaint I had was the right side of the mag release bit the second finger on my strong hand. Cleaning up the trigger was a MUST, but since it is basically a Glock trigger system I think it won't be long before there are some upgrades. The Glock disconnecter almost works, but is just enough longer I'm not sure if it will work. I may try to modify one, as the Ruger disconnecter is crappy. Overall, I think they did a good job from a design standpoint (basically updating almost all the thing I don't like in about the Glock except the trigger) but fell way short on execution of the final product. The thing was very rough, which was very disappointing. I took lots of photos of the guts, so if anyone want to take a peek, let me know.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Did anyone notice the frame/slide rail configuration? Looking at the 3D Ruger site animation, the front frame rails are external of the slide rails and the rear frame rails are internal to the slide rails. Looks like the slide assembles onto the frame from the front.

FYI, I thought it was interesting and fully supported slide then.

I wrote up the Ruger for the next issue of Front Sight, which will be coming out the end of December. The article's pretty extensive, so it should answer just about any question out there. I also happened to be there at the same torture test written up in the current issue of Guns & Ammo. Read the two articles and then you should have a decent idea if the gun's for you.

Is there a law somewhere requiring loaded chamber indicators? Cause I don't like 'em.

Beginning in January 07, all new semi autos being sold here in Cali had to have both a mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator. While I think the LCI is lame, I appreciate Ruger not forgetting about the Cali folk.

Thanks for the pictures Loves2Shoot. Had a chance to look at the Ruger SR9 again today. Tried the trigger with the magazine in this time and it did feel much better. The pictures do remind me of a Glock so I guess people will be modifying their SR9 triggers to give a better break.

....so I guess people will be modifying their SR9 triggers to give a better break.

Got it down to 4#'s today, with a real nice break. The way the trigger pivots I don't see how to get it to be a short travel gun like the XD can be, but I think it is is still is VERY shootable.

As much so as a Glock. I have some spare parts and another gun coming from Ruger. Once I get those and some various reduced power striker springs, I can do some more testing. I think it will be another good Production guns from my initial impressions.

I don't like the rear sights picture and I'm thinking that I'll check into seeing what it would take to make a target sight insert for the rear sight.

I'm going to close this thread. I'm not doing so to shut down the talk on this Ruger. On the contrary, I'd LOVE to see specific threads on this gun continue. What I don't want is for this "general" thread on the Ruger to grow into a mess of non-specific info. We got that when the M&P came out. All the posts where stuck in one thread, making info hard to find.

So, please continue talking the SR9 up...start threads for trigger work, range reports, holster selection, sight selection, etc.

Thanks,

Admin.