Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag catch problem used lock tight, what can I do

DACP-KS

I used lock tight to instal my magazine catch or release button on the drilled and tapped end. I must of used too much because it's stiff to activate and I cannot unscrew the mag catch assembly from the frame. Are there any cures out there. Besides drilling it out.

This is a 1911

and subject regarding Extended mag release

Edited by DACP-KS

I used lock tight to instal my magazine catch or release button on the drilled and tapped end. I must of used too much because it's stiff to activate and I cannot unscrew the mag catch assembly from the frame. Are there any cures out there. Besides drilling it out.

This is a 1911

What type of lock-tite. You should have only used the Purple color stuff (Small thread locker). If you used any other type use heat to soften adhesvie bond and remove screw.

MDA

This is a 1911

What type of lock-tite. You should have only used the Purple color stuff (Small thread locker). If you used any other type use heat to soften adhesvie bond and remove screw.

MDA

I used the medium BLUE STUFF

+1

I used red and had to soften with a torch lighter.

Will using a propane torch, just getting it up to temp, damage the bluing?

And maybe heating it from the inside?

Edited by DACP-KS

+1

I used red and had to soften with a torch lighter.

Will using a propane torch, just getting it up to temp, damage the bluing?

And maybe heating it from the inside?

Luckily I've never had that problem, but if I did, I would wrap the gun with damp rags and using a small butane torch, heat just the mag button. That should break down the Loctite. Once apart, tear down your gun and clean/oil it to displace any moisture that may have seeped in.

Bill

I would forget the torch and use a small electric soldering pencil/gun that you can buy at radio shack for like 10 bucks if you dont already have one.

Lets you get the heat right where you want it.

Edited by JaredB

I would forget the torch and use a small electric soldering pencil/gun that you can buy at radio shack for like 10 bucks if you dont already have one.

+2 on that.

But if you have to use a torch, grab an old screwdriver and get it hot.

+3 That's what Nighthawk Custom told me to do to get some grip bushings out that had been red loc-tited.

well I soaked in nail polish remover for an hour, used a sodering iron as recommened and now the screws head is almost stripped. I have an appointment with the gunsmith tomorrow afternoon, until then I'm going to soak over night in acetone.

Can I soak it in an old plastic coffee can, also will it hurt the bluing?

Thanks all for your assistance and time, either way!

Forums are great.

Edited by DACP-KS

If you use nail polish remover make sure it is acetone and let it soak for at least overnite, cover the container, jar, pill bottle whatever cause the stuff evaporates fast and the vapors are flamable and somewhat toxic. No it will not hurt the bluind but it will suck all the oils from the part.

Thanks Crush,

I finally got it out after soaking it twice, after 8 hours it was still stuck. Soaked it again in acetone for 12 hours and came out.

Now I have a problem of RUST in the area of the old mag catch, trying get that off the frame.

Thanks again

If you use nail polish remover make sure it is acetone and let it soak for at least overnite, cover the container, jar, pill bottle whatever cause the stuff evaporates fast and the vapors are flamable and somewhat toxic. No it will not hurt the bluind but it will suck all the oils from the part.