Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A Load data

boz1911

Need some help with load data for my M1A national match. Has a Zeiss Diavari 2x10 scope. Groups only slightly better than my Thompson muzzleloader at this point.

Tried 165 and 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips, fed one at a time to no avail.

I purchased some 168 BTHP bullets and have most IMR powders available.

Thanks

Need some help with load data for my M1A national match. Has a Zeiss Diavari 2x10 scope. Groups only slightly better than my Thompson muzzleloader at this point.

Tried 165 and 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips, fed one at a time to no avail.

I purchased some 168 BTHP bullets and have most IMR powders available.

Thanks

The "standard" loading is Sierra 168 MK over 42.0 H4895. Sierra 175 MK's are getting a lot of use too. Use new brass for testing.

Don't use any powder slower than 4064 - doing so makes the port pressure too high and tends to bend operating rods. As for loads, the old standby is 41.5g of 4895, behind the 168g Sierra MatchKing. Don't go too heavy on the bullets, keep them at 175g's and under, and have fun!

Trapper is spot on with the 2520 and the 168 grn HPBT Hornady or Sierra are great. Mine likes Hornady just a little better (1.25 " @ 200 :) )

I also have good results with 4064 but not at the Max load end, it gets wild for some reason.

If you can find it, (GOOD LUCK) the military 7.62 LR Lake City is AWSOME !!!!! mine really likes it :D

about the 2520 vs the 4064, I like the 2520 for the ease of metering, esp when making "Mass Production" (mid range and in 41.5 grns 2520 147 grn winchester fmj boat tail winchester large rifle with commercial mixed brass).

That load gives me Major P.F. over the chrono and 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds in my 18" scout squad.

remember, you'll gain fps with the longer barrell of a std M1A so take that into consideration but the loads I have all fall into the safe range in my loading books.

Hopalong

The scope mounting setup on these isnt the best are you sure problem isnt with the mount? I have tried a couple times with the Ballistic tips in 30 and 338 my rifles hate them and refuse to shoot them. Have you different OAL ?

The scope mounting setup on these isnt the best are you sure problem isnt with the mount? I have tried a couple times with the Ballistic tips in 30 and 338 my rifles hate them and refuse to shoot them. Have you different OAL ?

I am using the factory Springfield mount and yes it's a squirrely thing, but it and all rings etc are tight.

The groups are not horrendous but when a rifle costs this much I would think sub 1.5 MOA is not too much too ask.

Trapper is spot on with the 2520 and the 168 grn HPBT Hornady or Sierra are great. Mine likes Hornady just a little better (1.25 " @ 200 :) )

I also have good results with 4064 but not at the Max load end, it gets wild for some reason.

If you can find it, (GOOD LUCK) the military 7.62 LR Lake City is AWSOME !!!!! mine really likes it :D

about the 2520 vs the 4064, I like the 2520 for the ease of metering, esp when making "Mass Production" (mid range and in 41.5 grns 2520 147 grn winchester fmj boat tail winchester large rifle with commercial mixed brass).

That load gives me Major P.F. over the chrono and 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds in my 18" scout squad.

remember, you'll gain fps with the longer barrell of a std M1A so take that into consideration but the loads I have all fall into the safe range in my loading books.

Hopalong

Hopalong

Thanks should be able to round up some 2520, although won't be doing mass quantities. I have some 4895, guess I'll try some of that first. Thanks for everyone's help!!!