Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Ordnance Front Strap

Walthen

Hi,

I was wondering where is a good place to get checkering done on my P-16.  And should it be 20 LPI or 30 LPI? I heard a rumor that 30 LPI could not be done well because of those lines on the front strap. Is that true? And also does anyone have any experience with Accurate Plating Endurocote black finishes?

I hope this is a free service, hehe. :) Thanks alot for all the help.

Walthen

George Smith at EGW. http://www.egw-guns.com

Para frames are known for having blow holes in the casting which causes big problems when you checker into it.

EGW manufactures a checkered front strap plate which is available in 20 and 30 LPI. George will EDM machine a pocket into the frame. He then welds in the checkered insert.

Here's a write up on it from the 1911 Forums

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread...=EGW+AND+INSERT

I've seen a finished gun with the front strap insert and it's absolutely impossible to tell that it's not just a precision checkering job.

I have two Para's (38 Super) that have the EGW front strap checkering at 30 LPI. I highly recommend their work! I have two 45acp Para's that I plan to have done. Changes the grip feel slightly (feels more rounded) but is great for firm grip. Not too sharp either. Doesn't snag. No rough edges.

Can you tell I like EGW's work?!

I wouldn't have anything to do with Accurate Plating & Weaponry. Years ago I called them up to get some work done on a Commander. They told me I needed to send them a deposit to get on their list, and in a few months I could send them the gun. Okay, fair enough. I sent them some amount, I can't remember, $25, $50, something like that. And I did ask them, "Okay, let's say, in the next few months, I find someone to do my work in this area, can I get my deposit back?" "Absolutely," they replied.

Well, in the next few months I did find someone local to do the work on my gun. Called up AP&W to get my deposit back and was told, "It's not our policy to return any deposits." To which I said, "That's not what you told me a few months ago." So this goes on, back and forth, for months until FINALLY they say, "Alright, we'll send you your money back." Weeks go by, no check, I call them up to see what's the hold-up: "It's not our policy to return deposits." So we're back to Square One. At that point I said the hell with it, and will tell anyone who might be contemplating it not to deal with Accurate Plating & Weaponry. They're a bunch of dishonest swine.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 9:40 pm on Aug. 4, 2002)

• 4 months later...

any competent pistolsmith can checker it for you, or install the pre checkered item.  nothing looks as good, feels as good, or whoks as good as quality 20 lpi hand checkered and pointed work.  It is expensive, but worth it.  My guy in Houston gets 250 for a Colt front strap, and it is worth every cent.  Lots of gun mechanics out there who claim to be gunsmiths, be careful.