Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder drop consistancy

+/- 0.1 gr.

That's the quoted standard, and, practically speaking, with most piezoelectric scales not reading down to the next decimal, that's all you'll be able to detect. Some extruded powders like Vihtavouri drop very consistently, though, and I'd bet that if I had a more accurate scale, I might see better than a range of two tenths.

Still, I'm told that, for most action shooting, the variation in velocity/accuracy of variation of one or two tenths isn't important (provided you're not scraping the bottom of the Power Factor floor, of course).

Edited by kevin c

I always throw 10, and look for exactly 10 times the weight.. ie 46 for a 4.6gr charge.

I figure it evens out over the chrono. I'd still like to think, that I get much less than a .1 gr spread, but like Kevin said, you can't really weight one charge acuuratly enough.

I always throw 10, and look for exactly 10 times the weight.. ie 46 for a 4.6gr charge.

I figure it evens out over the chrono. I'd still like to think, that I get much less than a .1 gr spread, but like Kevin said, you can't really weight one charge acuuratly enough.

I usually get dead on or +/-2. I have never had the Dillon throw consistant every time.

FWIW, I bought one of the Unique Tec scales that is supposed to be accurate to .02 grains. Tests were run on a 650 with 3 different powder measures, two old style (but with the new style linkage) one old style with the springs.

VV N320 varies about .04

BL-C92) varies about .04

Varget varies about .08 - I tried bumping both, down and both. I had more consistency bumping twice n the bottom stroke.

The Dillon is actually more consistent with Varget than the Redding BR measure I have.

Try the new style powder links with a spring on. I get dead on more often than not.

I check every ten using Benchmark for my 223 and got exactly 235 over ten. Checked ten individually and got 7 dead on 1 +.1 and 2 at -.2. So who cares.

The gun groups sub 1/2moa all the way out to 300M. Thats a sgood as I can do.