Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why have a chrono set up at a match?

mscott

I have been to 2 big matches this year where the chrono results seem to be incorrect. I have seen where a shooter shooting Limited Minor with a Glock 34 was listed as major in the final results. His match application was filled out properly and declared minor. His power factor at the chrono was in the 127 neighborhood both times. Besides the fact that he is shooting limited minor and pushing the power factor that close, what is wrong with this? I can understand things getting missed once in a while, but not twice at bigger matches. Is it possible for the shooter's score to be correct, but mis-labeled on the final results page?

It's tough enough to get the stats crew to enter Major and Minor for everyone, must less do this.

The real problem with chrono is having a process "Tight" enouigh that match officials feel comfortable marking someone down as "did not make minor" if there is no record of them being at the chrono, rather than reacting with "Must have lost that one, just leave it the way the competitor registred."

I have been to 2 big matches this year where the chrono results seem to be incorrect. I have seen where a shooter shooting Limited Minor with a Glock 34 was listed as major in the final results. His match application was filled out properly and declared minor. His power factor at the chrono was in the 127 neighborhood both times. Besides the fact that he is shooting limited minor and pushing the power factor that close, what is wrong with this? I can understand things getting missed once in a while, but not twice at bigger matches. Is it possible for the shooter's score to be correct, but mis-labeled on the final results page?

Anything is possible but not likely to have a correct score with major on the score sheet & shooting minor as Ezwinscore uses the power factor to calculate scores. Are you absolutely sure the shooter declared that they were shooting minor? Most matches that I have been to have a list with the shooters name, division, class & power factor. So why hasn't the shooter told the stats people there was an error. There is also an hour after shooting before the scores are final for shooters to notify stats if there is a mistake. Sounds to me like the shooter just decided to take advantage of a scoring error for a higher placement than was deserved. Some would call that cheating.

I would not call it cheating since the entry form was filled out properly (and it's nt very nice). I posted this so we could all maybe learn what went wrong, not to criticize. The first instance we didn't catch it until the final results were posted. We shot Saturday, others on Sunday. Everyone does not hang around for the end results to be posted when there is a several hour drive ahead of us. I realize that errors against me can't be contested either, but I choose to leave when we are done. The second event, Stats people were notified as the stickers were printed with major on them. I was just wondering what happens to the sheets from the chrono stage. I guess a 123pf or a 164pf might raise a red flag, but is that it? I thought a shooters power factor was entered from there.

I would not call it cheating since the entry form was filled out properly (and it's nt very nice). I posted this so we could all maybe learn what went wrong, not to criticize. The first instance we didn't catch it until the final results were posted. We shot Saturday, others on Sunday. Everyone does not hang around for the end results to be posted when there is a several hour drive ahead of us. I realize that errors against me can't be contested either, but I choose to leave when we are done. The second event, Stats people were notified as the stickers were printed with major on them. I was just wondering what happens to the sheets from the chrono stage. I guess a 123pf or a 164pf might raise a red flag, but is that it? I thought a shooters power factor was entered from there.

Ah the dichotomy of the chrono results.

It appears standard practice is that the pf is calculated at the chrono. The chrono sheets are not entered (EZWinscore is not easy to use to enter chrono sheets) unless the person busts major or minor and then they are changed on the registration page.

Now if we throw into the mix a match that is using slave computers and data that is entered on the slave needs to have corrections done on the slave, the slave does a complete export of data and will overwrite the changes if they were made on the master.

Now we can also toss into the mix that the pf as calculated by EZ-Winscore is different than the PF calculated at the chrono.

Did you verify the chrono results and the calculated PF on the copy of the spreadsheet?

Just some food for thought.

Alan

Sounds to me like the shooter just decided to take advantage of a scoring error for a higher placement than was deserved. Some would call that cheating.

It sucks that you jumped right to calling somebody a cheater. It really does. :angry2:

I think I know one of the instances that is being talked about here. In that case, the shooter didn't check his results until he got home and they were on the computer. Once he did...he contacted me, asking for advice on how to fix it. (That was at a state match, outside of our section, but he contacted me anyway.)

I was just wondering what happens to the sheets from the chrono stage. I guess a 123pf or a 164pf might raise a red flag, but is that it? I thought a shooters power factor was entered from there.

When a shooter is entered into the scoring software (EZ), their power factor is declared right then...on the registration data entry page. I'm thinking the default is major power factor, except for production division..which defaults to minor. (So, data enter is the 1st place that an error could be made.)

Therefore, you have something in the system for the get go...which is declared power factor. That is what shows up on the stickers.

At chrono, the score sheets have a check box that asks if the shooter made declared power factor or not (chrono needs to catch this...another place for error). If not, the chrono CRO should call the Range Master so that that score sheet can be hand carried to the stats officer for immediate correction. (another place for error)

Sounds to me like the shooter just decided to take advantage of a scoring error for a higher placement than was deserved. Some would call that cheating.

It sucks that you jumped right to calling somebody a cheater. It really does. :angry2:

I think I know one of the instances that is being talked about here. In that case, the shooter didn't check his results until he got home and they were on the computer. Once he did...he contacted me, asking for advice on how to fix it. (That was at a state match, outside of our section, but he contacted me anyway.)

The person was talking about it happening twice at major matches and didn't indicate that he was the one he was talking about so if he can't admit that it happened to him twice, what am I to think. And I didn't call him a cheater I said some would, personally I would call him lucky.

Oh, I zeroed a stage at an area match and still got a class win now that is lucky.

Corrected spelling errors.

Edited by LPatterson