Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

False Attribution

ErikW

What's up with all the falsely-attributed articles flying about the web and e-mail? What would possess someone to falsely use another person's good name?

I don't understand why somebody has to give a mildly amusing collection of one-liners Steven Wright's byline. Anybody who has seen Steven Wright just once knows they aren't his.

I am beginning to understand why people are falsely attributing articles to George Carlin, Dennis Miller, and Andy Rooney, and why others are perpetuating the lies by passing on the articles.

It's because they are insecure. They lack confidence in their ideals, values, and beliefs, so they attempt to legitimize them by sharing articles falsely attributed to famous or respected people. These articles tend to support their belief systems and imply the celebrity shares their belief system.

What further irks me is these are the same people who dismiss the conflicting opinions voiced by other celebrities. They say the opinions of the celebrites, who they deride as the media elite or limousine liberals, don't carry any more weight and are no more important than the opinions of any other people. However, they only object when the celebrities' opinions conflict with their own belief systems. They are all too eager to share them when celebrity opinions are in line with their own.

False attribution is so pervasive, I would assume every byline forwarded by e-mail, posted in forums, or posted on web pages, is bogus until proven otherwise. I would only believe a byline if I were reading it on a credible web site, run by somebody with accountability. If you get something attributed to a famous person, check that person's official web site, Snopes, or a web search engine. Passing on lies is lying.

OK...here's what *I* hate about these "quotes":

Why do people feel OBLIGATED to forward them on. Oh, how I hate chain-letters. If people get an email with a tagline: "Send this email to everyone you know...." or something similar. Before they go, "Duuhhhh..." and hit the Forward button, I wish they would THINK! Go to Snopes or UrbanLegends.com and figure out if it's real. Even if it IS real, it might not merit forwarding or posting.

Why does this annoy me? Because I have the high privilege of subsidizing it. That's why.

Okay, both you Erik’s, I’ve just HAVE to ask. Is there ANYTHING either of you pontificating elitist snobs likes?

Why do people pass things along? Because, they find it amusing or provocative or thoughtful. Most people don’t research source because it’s usually irrelevant. It’s the content, the feeling that folks want to share and they don’t want or need to be made to feel foolish or stupid by half-baked pseudo-intellectuals WHO MISS that point!

Really guys, you need to LIGHTEN UP! This forum is suppose to be about shooting better with a few light diversions along the way…

Ed

It's also about being polite. Relaxed a bit in the What I Hate forum as you'r expressing your ire, of course. But not to insult the people who are expressing their opinions. One very nice thing about the Enosverse is the level of civility maintained by its denizens. This separates it from just about every other shooting website out there. Comments like "pontificating elitist snobs" and "half-baked pseudo-intellectuals WHO MISS that point" are totally over the line.

You’re right DT. It is also about being polite.

It’s been a REALLY bad week and my quota for the “self serving, righteously indignant” had been reached sometime Tuesday morning.

I apologize for the TONE of my reply but I stand by the content.

I will now slink quietly back under my rock (it’s fireproof) chanting my new mantra; “I will be more tolerant, I will be more tolerant, I will…”

Ed

Sure, stuff I like is in the What I Like forum. I've been keeping out of the Hate forum. However, this subject irks me far more than you appreciate, and I moved it from the Friday flame fest to its own Hate topic. I also cleaned up some choice words that make "half-baked pseudo-intellectuals" seem pretty tame.

False attribution is a form of fraud. It's like if a moderator edited the content of one of your posts to say, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra..." At least you're here to set the record straight. It's more like I went to another forum, registered under your name, and started posting. It's morally wrong!

Send George Carlin an e-mail and tell him to lighten up. That pontificating elitist snob took issue with an article falsely attributed to him.

I don't miss the point that people want to feel good. In fact, I tried to make that point. Feeling good doesn't make it good, or right. I also tried to make the point that the source is relevant to their reasons for sharing. It would seem I failed miserably, with Run n Gun at least.

I can't make anybody feel foolish or stupid, nor can I make them feel wise or smart. How they feel is up to them.

I am busy inventing a new feature for computers. It is a electro shock therapy device that goes off everytime someone clicks the "Send this to My Entire Email Address Book" button on AOL. It only shocks them till they piss themselves, but hopefully this will be enough to deter these actions in the future. :angry:

I have a new hero, Run N Gun. Well said.

I guess it is bad to be misquoted if you're the one misquoted. I wouldn't call someone a liar who merely passes on something they thought was interesting. That would be mean and impolite and would get the nice police after you.

I do feel smart now. :D

Is there ANYTHING either of you pontificating elitist snobs likes?

Oh, good heavens! Pontificating?! Of all the days to have my Pope hat at the cleaners.

Heavens to Betsy! What shall I do? I think I shall sing!

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my faaavooooriiiite thiiiiiings

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs

These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites

When the bee stings

When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel soooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!

...and you thought I didn't like anything, you silly goose!