Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed loading issues with rounds in the tube

Supermoto

I have been practicing loading with a tec-loader and Arredondo chute. when there is no rounds in the mag tube, I can load 100% of the time, If there is a round in the mag tube, when I load, the first round, comes in too high and the front of the shell hits the top of the rim of the shell in the tube. This cause the rim to catch where the mag tube and receiver come together. It does this even when I insure that the tabs are hitting the hooks where they should.

Now if I make the angle of attach steeper than the Arrendondo chute, I seem to be able to get the first shell to come in lower and not hit the rim of the shell in the tube.

I have relieved the receiver around the mag tube.

A few possible solutions to the problem, would either be have the shell in the tube, further back, I would some how increase the length of the shell release.

or trim the length of the EZ-loader so the shell will be lower coming in

or does anyone have any additional suggestions

Thanks

So I assume your shooting a remington. Here are a few things to try. First use a good follower. The hi viz plastic follower work a lot better than the aluminum followers.

Depending on your extension it may come in several pieces. Make sure the nut/collar is screwed down snug first. Then screw down the tube down snug. This will align the tube where the follwer will not bind.

There are also edges and stuff that can be rounded off but I let Rob melhorn handle that. I had simlar problems as you but Rob took care of them and then schooled me on the follwers, collar blah blah blah.

Hope this makes sense it's late and I've been drinking again.

Edited by Yar1180

On a remington.....you really need to flare out the the area where the shells go in to the tube. This has turned many Remington SHotguns that were 70% reloads....to 95% reloads (these numbers based on NEVER practicing).

Use the gunsmiths favorite love/hate tool.....the dremel to grind away and.....for lack of better terms, flare out your mag well. Then the rims of your shells will have nothing to catch on, and funnel right in to the tube.

Another benefit of flaring that area out, is that your angle of attack is less critical now.....and you will have really no need for the arredondo ramp.

I use to shoot remington....now shoot benelli, and have done the same thing to it. The sad thing is, there is one other issue with the benelli's and tec loaders that can be solved with modifying the shell lifter. Doing this on my Benelli, made me go from about 50% to 99.5%......but I don't practice.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

+1 to what Benny mentioned.

I have dremeled the mag tube reciever junction to make the transition as smooth as possible. However on occasion shells with a soft hull allow the crimp to catch up on this. As far as ammo goes all the premium ammo seems to have a stiff enough crimp to resist this (AA, Rem Premier, etc). The second tier ammo seems to be a hit and miss affair as I have experienced both stiff crimps and soft ones. Currently the Remington Heavy Dove loads are working great for me as practice ammo and Winchester Heavy game loads look to be promising (only 100 rds so far).

Good luck, Craig

What's happening is the crimp on the shell being loaded is hanging up on the rim of the shell in the tube, been there, done that. Change ammo or set up the shells to come in lower.

I trimmed a little off the tec-loader bracket to allow the tube to come slightly further down. I trimmed it in an angle to help lock it in further down

I also had the Mag tube and receiver area dremeled out even more.

So far, it seems to be better using the same ammo. We'll see how it goes tomorrow, first shotgun match :)

Update from the match. All my reloads went smooth, the only issue was if I pulled the tec-loader out of the pouch and whip it up to the gun, shells would come out. Thanks for everyones help. I used the same band shells as before. I think dremeling out the mag tube area and trimming the tec-loader tabs just a bit helped alot

Thanks for all the help

• 4 weeks later...
This exact problem happens when I try to use winchester ammo.

When I use remington shells ...I dont have the problem at all.

But I have no viable explanation why...

Jim

This may or may not be related ot the problem stated at the start of the thread, but in every case where the crimp also put a bevel at the mouth of the shell my loading was smooth. Winchesters in particular can have a crimp profile that is like the Mad Hatter's top hat, i.e. widest at the top, opposite to having a bevel.