Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12 or 20 Gauge?

Paul Burtchell

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a big push on the 20 gauge at the moment, and all you are going to see is the use of the 20 gauge grow. There are a few posts on that subject. Benny will work on either one. And, there are some pretty good shooters in the world of 3 gun that are SERIOUSLEY looking at the 20 gauge for next year.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

If you shoot the same load in the 20 that you do in the 12, ie 1 oz of shot 3 dram equivilant, the felt recoil will actually be more in the 20 guage.

The advantage of the 20 seems to be the size of the shells when reloading. Eaiser to grab 5 or 6 20 guage shells than 12s.

Actually, in my open gun, I use AA 2 3/4 dram loads 7/8 oz. The recoil is sharper, but less. My gun is ported....but still there may not be much advantage in the Open Division. BUT in my opinion, it is much better than our buddies open 12 ga recoil. Overall, just seems faster on recovery......must be faster powders

In Jarmo's 20ga Limited gun we have been using Winchester 2 1/2 dram 7/8 oz loads.....again, sharper recoil, but less. Comparing this to a M2 limited gun we have....again, much faster recovery time as well.

The guns never leaves the target, splits are comparatively faster, lighter guns, recoil is very managable

And.......in EVERY match we have been at this year, there was NOTHING we could not knock over. Both of us use the improved cyl choke tube in our guns.

Also.....this 'more pattern' thing is kinda mute as well. There is a lot of clay shooters out there that will tell you that is you miss with a 20, you will probably miss with a 12.

+1 on what Jax said......all else being equal......the grabing and loading more shells at once is a HUGE advantage.

No, not at all.......a healthy discussion.

Time will tell next year......the main thing is that last year, you never saw any yellow hulls at major matches. This year, you are seeing alot......and it will only grow.

20 guage is VERY viable in 3 gun, and people are seeing it.....even the top shooters. :)

Time will tell next year......the main thing is that last year, you never saw any yellow hulls at major matches. This year, you are seeing alot......and it will only grow.

20 guage is VERY viable in 3 gun, and people are seeing it.....even the top shooters. :)

I think 20ga is for sissies :devil:

Yuk Yuk giggle giggle :lol:

Jim

I think 20ga is for sissies :devil:

Yuk Yuk giggle giggle :lol:

Jim

...speaking of sissies...don't you shoot a pink shotgun?

Bruce Piatt shoots a 20 ga REALLY WELL, and places in the top 5 with it!! At the side match at CMMG, Bruce won it with a 20, and Tate moots won his class in the side match with Bruces 20 ga...like Tim says, there is almost no recovery time from shot to shot....Lets see what Nationals brings..

Cheryl :)

I don't know Merlin......this time you have ALOT more interest in it, more shell selection. The experiments are over......people are really looking to switch over as they need new equipment..

I believe Bruce has made the transition very well.

And....Jim???....well, it seems as though Jim is not gonna be getting any for a very long time

I don't know Merlin......this time you have ALOT more interest in it, more shell selection. The experiments are over......people are really looking to switch over as they need new equipment..

And....Jim???....well, it seems as though Jim is not gonna be getting any for a very long time

Hmmm... I see you are a Darwinian. As your namesake did so long ago let me suggest we see, as the developmental progress continues, what time and the process of natural selection allows to survive and flourish... :cheers::D

Hmmm... I see you are a Darwinian. As your namesake did so long ago let me suggest we see, as the developmental progress continues, what time and the process of natural selection allows to survive and flourish... :cheers::D

Wow, that was deep...I didn't realize you were a scholar. :bow:

I find the 20 ga. Benelli M2 to be quicker handling with less recoil than my M1 12 ga. The 12 ga. MAY be a little more forgiving when it comes to shot placement (still debating this issue with myself) but the 20 ga. wins the reloading contest hands down. I can load 5 20ga. shells from a 4 rd 12 ga. carrier and do so in about the same time I can load 4 12ga shells. BUT I load weak hand. If you are loading one shell at a time then that point is mute.

The drills I have run at home have proven to me that the 20 ga. is more than capable of competing with the 12 ga. At least when being used by someone of my skill (mediocre at best). Give someone of great shotgun skill the same two guns and their mileage may very. It is at least worth looking into, and what with Nordic Components building everything you need for the weapon, it makes the 20 ga. just that much more viable.

Gentleman Jim I love my 20 ga., hope that doesn't make me a sissy. :cheers:

Payne

Edited by Sgt

NO guys your not sissies...Just messin with Tim and my wife :cheers:

And I have been properly chastized for my transgression :surprise:

The light 20 is very easy to transition and quite fast...recoil cycle is also very crisp.

No doudt it will become more popular, and I know several people that shoot it quite well. B)

Jim :)

my son said that???? smart kid for an 11 year old eh? I'll to have a little talk with him tonight.....by the way, he shoots a 20 gauge too. I did not steal one from him just to shoot 3 gun.

Jim......by chastized, are you meaning....wait, I dont wanna know