Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and 115 Zeros

nhglyn

I did a search but would like current thoughts from people who use 115 gr 9mm Zero FMJ and Hodgdon Titegroup. I tried 4.0 grs but am getting, what I consider high, fps readings (average 1440 fps) and am questioning if they are correct or not. Test group from same gun was WWB 115 FMJ and I got an average of 1230 fps. Hodgdon reloading data gives range of 3.9 grs (1075) to 4.3 grs (1151), so why do I get 1440? This was from a full size Springfield XD with CED chrono and infrared light.

Mixed brass with WSP primers loaded on a Dillon 1050.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by nhglyn

- calibrated scale before starting

- weighed each charge

- brand new 4# jug of powder

- oal consistent at 1.107 +/- (same as WWB)

- no setback

Does anyone else use this combination of powder and bullet weight? What do you use?

Matt,

Thought of that but I looked at the WWB ballistics data on the Winchester site and they say it should chrono at 1190, so my 1230 reading isn't too far off. Will chrono again tomorrow and see what I get. Will use the XD but will also test with a Beretta 92fs.

Bill,

Sun was down behind trees and it was a little overcast and IR screens were plugged in. Just curious, if IR screens are functioning why does sun throw reading off? I thought use of IR screens allowed consistency of readings in all light conditions?

just for referance (spelling) I use 4.7 of TG with a 115 for steel. I average 129-132 PF from a 5" 1911. some times the crony will read weird pending on lighting conditions and the bullet that is being used IE: plated or jacketed

I load 4.5gr of Titegroup and 115 Zero fmj with Winchester WSP primers to a length of 1.150 usually in Winchester cases. This is my standard practice load and shoots well in most 9mms. As for velocty I will have to check my data to be sure but I belive it runs around 1200fps out of a G34.