Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec extractor

Keith Tyler

After installing a new scope on my guy which is mounted a fair bit lower to the slide I started having a few extracting problems.  Did the "more" tension stuff, had my gunsmith play with the ejector angle and while at his workshop/range fired about 100 rounds and no problem.  Come the weekend out of 17 stages I have ejecting problems on 14 and there goes the match to sh#$...

To cut a long story short several people suggest an Aftec and others say don't do near them..

So what do the people hear say??

Thanks

Mario

For those that it helped...it works great..and is a good thing..

Not sure if its the fix for everything...but if it makes the gun work..can;t argue with that..

on the plus side..you don't have to depend on a good heat treatment of an extractor..negatives.you add several small parts to your gun..they are about three times the price..but why skimp when you have a 2k+ blaster...

But it may be the fix for your gun..I just finished getting my blaster to run right...it came down to an extractor with bad heat treat and was too soft..new extractor RCed to the right hardness and all is good..

I think the advice above is all sound.  I decided a couple months ago to do all the research I could and either learn the craft of extractor tuning or go with the Aftec for my Limited gun.  After doing the research, I decided to go with the Aftec.  It was pretty easy to fit to a new firing pin stop and it has been 100% since installation.  I understand the downside of more pieces, but I like knowing that I can take the extractor out to clean it as often as I want without worrying about affecting its tension.  I still haven't found out how often I should change the little springs, but I figure spending a buck or two every year or two to replace them is VERY cheap insurance.  I didn't mind paying the extra money for it and have been pleased with it so far.  

Here's my .02

I think its a hit or miss deal.  I have some 1911's that I just stuck in the appropriate extractor be it 9mm, .40 or 45 and they work flawlessly without any treewking.  

Then there's my open gun where I had Dawson tune one for the TJ brass I bought from him. This fianlly fixed the run-stop-run problens that plauged the gun from the start after trying different extractors 9mm, 38, and different brass, regual Super, super comp etc.  Maybe it was just this gun but it cured all ills.

Thanks everyone for the comments and I might have to go the Aftec way.

I did pick up a "regular" one anyway as a backup.

With the old one that I took out of the gun I did notice that hook at the front was very very smooth and fairly rounded which I guess I should have picked up before but it's all a learning experience.

I will keep you posted with what happens.

Thanks again

Mario

• 4 months later...

I was shooting today and my auto suddenly became a single shot.  My Aftec broke.....the claw was no were to be seen.  I have about 3000 rounds on this extractor.  How do I contact the manufacture?  I feel the product should have lasted more than 3000.  

Got this from Matt Burkett.  All I have seen but it does have a phone number.  Good luck.

AFTEC and Kidd's Custom Shop at David's Gun Room Makers of the Advanced Competition Extractor (ACE) Solve your extraction problems, with no modifications to your gun! The days of "tweeking" extractors are over! Order one today!

Dual Coil Springs End Extractor Failure

No-fail extractor operates with long-lasting coil springs for increased service life; provides enhanced, reliable performance for self-defense and competitor shooters. Machined from super strong, alloy steel; specially hardened and heat treated to last indefinitly. Installs easily in Series 70 1911 Autos without slide modifications. Phone: 770-506-0849

That is a good question to ask Bill.  FWIW, I bought a .40 caliber AFTEC in January (I believe) of this year from Brownells.  It has been flawless so far.  I wonder if they had production run that came out faulty for some reason?   Maybe poor heat treat or something?  

I wonder if they had production run that came out faulty for some reason?   Maybe poor heat treat or something?  

Yeah, that's what I was wondering because I just broke mine!  It was a 45 version purchased in late summer of last year with 12k rounds on it.

• 9 months later...

Here are a few tips for working with the aftec.

Make sure that the tip is not contacting the barrel. Pretty standard with Shuemans. Take about .30 off the end.

DON'T modify the extractor hook. Most of the problems I have seen were with "gunsmithed" hooks. BTW it voids the warranty.

Make sure the extractor isn't binding against the firing pin stop. You almost can't cut the stop enough. It should be able to slide in and out with out almost any pressure. Angle the sides of the FPS so that it allows it to rotate.

If there is too much tension, try taking one of the springs out. They will work with more tension because of the rotation than a standard extractor will. Check by loading a mag up full (do this on the range) and load the first round from slide lock. If it loads your most likely ok.

If you still are having problems, contact me or AFTEC 770-506-0849 Phone/Fax.

Take care,