Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Donnie Darko

benos

I'm past my eighth viewing, and enjoying it more and more each time. I think it's a brilliant movie. I love the way the movie was cut from scene to scene, and even within many scenes, to leave you wondering/hanging, and then the next scene (or several scenes later) "answers" the previous one. And I like the whole "ironic" theme - which is exactly what the entire movie is.

be

[Not trying to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it Mode ON]

OK, I watched the movie. Then I watched the deleted scenes with the Director's commentary. Then I re-watched the movie with the Director's commentary. And, yes, I realize this is "cheating." I also realized that I missed every single point the director was trying to make. If they would have added about 30 minutes of cut scenes, I think the movie would have been very different. A lot of significant things were cut out that frankly were necessary to the story.

That said, I like the movie. I'm shocked that it was Drew Barrymore that helped produce it. I have not given her enough credit, obviously. I'm disappointed that the movie was not re-edited for DVD with the "missing" scenes added as a "director's cut." DD would have really benefited from it as a movie, although I'm not sure the DD mystique would have benefitted as the incompleteness of the movie seems to be part of it's appeal - if that makes any sense...

I'm also stunned that DD was made for about 4.5 million. That says a lot for the power of young, fresh ideas with no BS corporate intervention. If a major studio would have poured 100 million into DD, the end result would have sucked.

Two thumbs up.

I was talking about the movie with friend today, and she said she picked up something... Some sort of relationship between the slow-motion scenes and (all she could remember) "memory." ? I thought, after so many watchings, I was ready to watch the commentated version, and not feel I was cheating. ;) But now I think I need to go one more time. What do you think EricW? (cheater)

;)

BE,

I was SOOO far off the mark on everything, I'm no position to give viewing advice. I'm getting ready to watch it for real for the second time just to see if I ever could have put the pieces of the puzzle together properly. I think the problem for me is that the movie was written and directed by the Sci Fi and comic book fan crowd and there's some implicit knowledge assumed of the viewer that I just don't have, so it was tough for me to make any of the proper connections.

E

Got it.

I watched again with that filter and I didn't get anything. I don't think the slow-mo scenes relate logically to anything in the actual movie, but they seem to have their own symbolic meaning on their own.

be

Nevermind that last post; after one more viewing, I don't think so. I think the slo-mo scenes imply a feeling for the movie in general, but not specifically. But still haven't watched the voiceover version.

But I did, on the other hand, make it all the way to the end of level 3 of the Donnie Darko web site, which was quite rewarding I might add.

;)

I did, last night. At 2:00 AM. I really enjoyed the commentary, but it didn't enlighten me much. Actually reaching level three of the website pretty much confirmed everything I felt about the movie. In addition, learning the "lingo" from the website really enhances the movie.

be

• 2 months later...

I just watched the flick for the first time this weekend. Tip: Best viewed in a dark house, alone. ;)

This immediately was placed on the top of my all time favorite movies. I watched it a second time with my wife and some friends and my wife was asking about it and I told her "hun, if I had an hour I couldn't even begin to explain what the movie is about"

The one question I have is when Frank tells DD that the world is coming to an end, which world is he refering to? Let that cook your noodle, its cooking mine.

no!!!!!!! I don't want to be told!!!! (I'm sorry thats what you implied, I meant that as a rhetorical question)

I have lots of opinions about the movie and its fun to figure this out for yourself. I think this is truely one of those films that can mean something different to everyone.

I don't think Donnie was mentally ill or schizophrenic (sp?). I don't think he was hallucinating. Frank wasn't imaginary.

I find it interesting that all of the acts that Frank compelled DD to carry out somehow linked all of the characters of the film together.

Have I mentioned how much I liked this movie? :D

Have you been to the website yet? If not, I'd watch it until you feel like you "know what happened" before you did. Then after you've made it through level 3, watch it with the director's voiceover...

;)

Saw the last hour of it. 'Twas pretty good. If y'all didn't get what happened at the end as described in Level 3 of the website, y'all need to watch more movies. The book was a good read, though. Why the missing chapters?

I'm disappointed that the movie was not re-edited for DVD with the "missing" scenes added as a "director's cut." DD would have really benefited from it as a movie

I must respectfully disagree. My overwhelming impression of every deleted scene was that there was a good reason it was deleted, that the movie was better without it. For instance, the scenes with Donnie carving pumpkins with his sister and her attempt to help him, and his heart-to-heart with his Dad, were very well-acted but lessened the sense of Donnie as being isolated, of having to deal with this hideous problem alone. The scene with Elizabeth on the phone gives us way too great a clue toward one of the big surprises later in the film. I was very, very glad they cut the scene where the shrink tells Donnie his pills were just placebos. Again, that greatly lessened the sense of Donnie as being in a totally crappy situation, a big part of which was being forced to take anti-phychotic drugs. And it also paints the doctor as being one manipulative, deceitful bitch, to have lied about this, not only to Donnie but his very concerned parents. "I think we should increase his medication," indeed. Nuke that one.

I'm disappointed that the movie was not re-edited for DVD with the "missing" scenes added as a "director's cut." DD would have really benefited from it as a movie, although I'm not sure the DD mystique would have benefitted as the incompleteness of the movie seems to be part of it's appeal - if that makes any sense...

I must respectfully disagree.

Then we agree to disagree. I needed the scenes to make the film make sense. But, I also have a 1.75 second draw because I have think about it before I do it...

:P

I should have made it clear. I did watch the movie on DVD, and then the deleted scenes - which kind of take you by the hand and make it clear what happened in the film. I might have been confused if I'd just seen this movie in the theater, or on video. Does the videotape of Donnie Darko have the deleted scenes? Maybe I shouldn't post my "insights." Why ruin the movie for other people?

I agree with your first post on this page, Duane. I don't think any of the deleted scenes should have been added to the movie. I feel adding any of them would have detracted from the "mystery factor" of the movie. But this is coming from a guy with a dozen plus viewings. Actually, I lost count - too many friends who hadn't seen it...

be