Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio STS

Batavia

I think SPS makes that gun for them.

If that's actually the case, I will never buy a Tanfoglio gun again in my lifetime.

And, also if that's actually the case, you'll never see one sold here in the US as long as the STI/SV patent remains valid on the frame design.

Edited by XRe

I believe the Patent is on the grip only. The frame is not protected. But their website says europe sales only.

I believe the patent is 5,293,708 which covers a grip/frame assembly. It doesn't expire until 2014. It covers both the frame and the grip.

I believe the Patent is on the grip only. The frame is not protected. But their website says europe sales only.

I believe the patent is 5,293,708 which covers a grip/frame assembly. It doesn't expire until 2014. It covers both the frame and the grip.

From what I heard from Dawson, it is how the grip attaches to the frame. But then again what you wrote is correct.

Just being picky.

• 2 weeks later...
I think SPS makes that gun for them.

Who is SPS?

If you see Xre & Southpaw's posts above, that largely explains it. We should not get into another controversy (so please do not comment w/ your position) but for those wondering: SPS produces & sells guns outside the USA (made in Spain I thought). The patent above was not filed internationaly so it does not technically prevent SPS from using the design. The patent prevents the import of SPS guns into the USA. The Brazilian company Imbel *might* also produce an STI/SV style gun. The fact that the SPS uses the non-protected STI/SV design outside the US w/o the agreement or participation of STI/SV angers many in the US who SPS as having unfairly taken the non-protected design. Again, I have tried to make this a simple factual statement. Please lets not get into another debate. Regards,

C.

Sounds like copetition on the open market to me. I think once we finally do see them in the US that will be a good thing. Competition drives quality and service. If STI didn't file a patent internationally, oh well. I think SPS sell in Canada as well. A friend bought some mags there. Paid a pretty penny for them though.

I actually contacted SPS and they said that i couldn't purchase a Fully assembled gun and have them send it to me but that i could purchase the gun and they will send it disassemblesd.

1) I was curious, how much and what type of model did they quote you on? Did you have to fill out any paperwork.

2) I believe one reason the STS will not be offered in the US is the price is too high to be profitable because of the EUR/USD exchange rate and export costs. It may be cheaper to get a STI.

If I understand it correctly, They may not sell the grip in the US as it is the patented part of the gun. If you look in the channel of the grip where the mainspring housing sets it has the patent numbers molded into it(on a STI/SVI grip). AT this years Florida open(2007) I saw a representative of STI go over to the SPS table and inform them if they sold a grip that they would be calling the local sheriff. The folks from SPS got very upset and left the match. I understand that the Sti/Svi system is not protected internationally and that is why it is copied, and I believe the other poster is correct that a company in South America is producing a copy as the patent is not covered there either. I have a SPS grip and it is not better than an S_I grip.. Just lighter. The built in magwell is not that great a feature and who's going to help you if you need warranty issues handled? They have copied more than the Sti/Svi gun, they are also coping the Dawson basepad, and if you have looked on their website lately the now are showing the 170mm mag with gramms pad on it. make one wonder.