Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Distance Gunsmithing Course?

North

Depends on what you want to learn. A lot of 1911 stuff it is best to see someone do live rather than be told. Looking, reading and distance is hard when you are trying to do some precise stuff. For example I know fitting a barrel the first time can be rather nerve racking without someone saying hey do this, be careful about that. If you are brave enough to try it then instead of the gunsmith course I would by some of the better 1911 books out there.

I am a master of distance education and have been doing it for six years. I was the first. I think it is a thing of the future. Every big shot in the 1911 business said it couldn't be done. I did it and it has been a great success. I like the idea of having a distance education thing here in AZ. I will go down and check it out this winter.

What do you guys think of a program like this?

http://sonoranlearning.com/gunsmithing.htm

Do you have specific areas of interest? Do you want to persue it as a hobby for yourself, or as a business? I've known some grads of the Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing program. I don't think any of them continued it for a living. A machining backround would be very helpful.

What do you guys think of a program like this?

http://sonoranlearning.com/gunsmithing.htm

Do you have specific areas of interest? Do you want to persue it as a hobby for yourself, or as a business? I've known some grads of the Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing program. I don't think any of them continued it for a living. A machining backround would be very helpful.

At most it would be a side business. Mainly I want to be able to tinker more proficiently <_<. I took machine shop in high school, about 20 years ago. But since then I have been in the USAF specializing in calibrating physical dimensional test equipment (gageblocks to micrometers).

Edited by North

See if you can buy a small used milling machine, rather than using a Dremel. I noticed the mention of a Moto Tool in part of the description. If you want to do any rifle barreling and chambering, a lathe is needed too. If your mechanical abilities are up to it, you can learn it just as well from books and trial as from a correspondence course.