Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Teaser Pics, Long, Wide Dustcover Project

Kingman

Ok, so today I decided my goal would be to completely build a gun. From the ground up in a day. Now I know this may sound like a crock, but I am boared, have nothing to do besides mess with the guns. BTW the mill work is already done.

Picture022.jpg

Picture021.jpg

As you can see it is coming together.

Details thus far. Going to tease about final setup, sorry in the mood to be a prick.

STI Stainless long, heavy, wide dustcover with light rail

Fusion match sear

Fusion match hammer(knockoff Koenig one)

Fusion spring kit

Fusion pins

Fusion match Disconector

Fusion match Ti hammer strut

The more I work with some of the parts the more I think that possibly these come off the same line somewhere along the lines as STI parts. They are pretty dag close.

Edited by Kingman

Ok, so here it is. For the most part it is done. Almost....

I still need to put on the Bomar, Dawson Front FO, and put in the ejector and pin it. Right now sitting at a crisp 3 pound pull. Basically just dropped the hammer and sear in without polishing. They looked pretty good.

Picture026.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture023.jpg

BTW sorry I am working so slow.

Dereck45 - Fusion is a company owned by Bob Serva who used to own Dan Wesson arms back when they built some quality stuff. He recently formed Fusion Arms with the idea of putting affordable quality parts on the market.

Yoshida it is a wilson cut frame. This is the first gun I have ever done with this cut on it.

Edited by Kingman

Dereck45 - Fusion is a company owned by Bob Serva who used to own Dan Wesson arms back when they built some quality stuff. He recently formed Fusion Arms with the idea of putting affordable quality parts on the market.

Yoshida it is a wilson cut frame. This is the first gun I have ever done with this cut on it.

Thanks

I think I found it....

[Fusion link

How would you rate the parts?

For example, how does the hammer compare to a real Koening?

So far so good. The machine work looks nice on the parts. Some of the parts are hardened to no end. When I had to file down the sides of the base of the hammer it took forever just to scratch it with a file.

I have previously used Dlask hammer's. This seems to have as good of quality. Though I will know better once I get a whole mess load of rounds through it.

Kingman,

Nice looking blaster :) Looks like you're having fun.

The 1911 trigger group kits on Fusion's website, 2 of them are for wide body guns, and it clearly states STI.

If it's 'drop in'....I just might consider getting a 1911 group kit for myself. I hate polishing!

I dropped in basically. I did not polish and got about 3 pounds out of it. I did not buy one of the groups because I wanted to try the koenig nock off hammer. I think with polishing I can get it down around 2 pounds where I like it, but I don't have any polishing stones with me so that will have to wait.

I am having a blast.

Next up time to take some more weight out of the slide somehow.

Suprised no one has commented about the non ported sight tracker barrel.

Edited by Kingman

Bob, I would be curious to know the total weight and how it feels in recoil. I have wanted to play with a sight tracker barrel set up but was afraid it would dip the front sight like a tungsten sleeve barrel does.

BTW, looks great!

I dropped in basically. I did not polish and got about 3 pounds out of it. I did not buy one of the groups because I wanted to try the koenig nock off hammer. I think with polishing I can get it down around 2 pounds where I like it, but I don't have any polishing stones with me so that will have to wait.

I am having a blast.

Next up time to take some more weight out of the slide somehow.

Suprised no one has commented about the non ported sight tracker barrel.

Seems like that hybrid rib cut in the slide would have already lightened it up pretty well.... what's it weight now?

Thanks Kingman. Trying to see which of the 2 cuts is more popular (ease of machining and final fitting of barrel).

Nice cut and fitting of the hybrid barrel to the slide. :) How much lighter are you going with the slide?

Yosh I have at least 3 STI frames with the clark cut. At least 7 1911 frames with the same cut. This is my first wilson cut style. Overall this was cake to fit comparatively.

Not sure how much lighter I am going. Mainly I want to do something to add some flash to the front of it. Not necesarily to remove weight, but looks you know count for more than ability.

I will throw it on my postal scale tomorrow and get a weight on it.

Hopefully shooting it in a week or two. I don't have any .40 sti mags.

Howard, thank you. Seeing your work that means a great deal.

Edited by Kingman

Ok, weights

Slide only 11.7 oz

Total Gun with no sights or magwell 36.9 oz

I weighed this on my postal scale. Does not seem right, but thats what she says.

Figure a sight weighs an ounce maybe two, same for an aluminum magwell and I am still looking at under 40oz. with this set up.

Very cool.

Very interesting about how the parts dropped in. I have been thinking about doing something like this myself, not in a day but building an STI. That these parts can be had that basically drop in is a great thing.

I like the unported sight tracker. I think it is a good idea.

I will be intersted to see how it runs.

Cool stuff Bob, and the slide is almost at weight already. Get below about 10 and you can/may have a finicky gun compared to the average Limited gun. Mags and springs become critical with ultra fast slides. I am surprised that the total weight is so low, I would have guessed it at 40+ ounces. When do you think you might get out and shoot it?

vrmn1 - With the frames being so consistent now with STI many companies sell match grade products that are basically drop in at this point. Fusion and EGW are two that I am now familiar with. But most quality parts come with a quality finish that requires little final finish. Biggest thing to fit are the safeties.

Howard - I was shocked with the weight. I don't have sights or magwell yet so I figure I will be around 40 oz or so. I want to take about another ounce out of the slide yet. As with sights etc, I don't have mags. So will order those this week. I would like to get out in the next week or two and get some rounds through it to see how it really feels. I had the frame and slide laying around so decided to put it together. Other projects in the future include a modified division gun and open. I will be talking with you about them.

Derek45 - the slide was a pita. Took about 4 hours or so for fine fitting and lapping. I don't have a cnc to mill the rails so it takes a bit of filing and lapping a bit at time.

Catfish - I am sitting under a reasonable price. I don't want to post what I actually have in it on forums as I get dealer cost on a lot of stuff.

Hey Kingman,

nice blaster. Where can you get fusion parts? Is there a website for this? I wish someday you can help me build a new open nine. HAHA!!! I know you are busy. This is really a huge inspiration for me especially when you build everything from scratch with all the parts that you have and putting them together one by one.

Bob, I think you are right. Sights will end up being an ounce and a half for B-M and fiber front, magwell will be another ounce or a hair more.

I have CNC equipment and still finish slide fit by hand too. Only difference is I take it down within about .0005" and hand fit the rest. I just put one on last night, didn't feel like driving an hour to the shop and an hour back so it was 100% by hand, came out awesome, but it took over 3 hours which is about how long it would have taken the other way.

Do you have a mill or did you have the milling done elsewhere?

Hey Kingman,

nice blaster. Where can you get fusion parts? Is there a website for this? I wish someday you can help me build a new open nine. HAHA!!! I know you are busy. This is really a huge inspiration for me especially when you build everything from scratch with all the parts that you have and putting them together one by one.

www.fusionfirearms.com I think is the website Bob is a great help who will talk to you about your needs. As for building a gun, I am having a hell of a time getting my open 9's 100% reliability. Building from scratch is not too bad just get a good book to follow. Several of the 1911 books are truly great. Anything I can do on anything but a 9 let me know. 9's I just am not comfy with yet.

Bob, I think you are right. Sights will end up being an ounce and a half for B-M and fiber front, magwell will be another ounce or a hair more.

I have CNC equipment and still finish slide fit by hand too. Only difference is I take it down within about .0005" and hand fit the rest. I just put one on last night, didn't feel like driving an hour to the shop and an hour back so it was 100% by hand, came out awesome, but it took over 3 hours which is about how long it would have taken the other way.

Do you have a mill or did you have the milling done elsewhere?

I think fitting them by hand holds up better actually than any other method. It does take a long time. I had no clue though that it took that long to do with a mill either.

My friend Tom has a mill and helps me out, but he is over 2 hours away. I am thinking about buying one of those grizzly mills or something like that.