Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B

Just picked up used SDB. Primer system is not as reliable as I would like, about 2-3 failures per 100. mostly sideways primers now that I have adjusted it to stop primers from flipping, no wonder it was for sale. Seems like a slick little machine. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance..............................Travis F.

What can I think of.....

Don't haul ass, for one....that's one sure-fire way to make that thing skip a beat....it seems to like a smooth cycle. Every time I used to really get bangin', that's when it'd fu*k up.

All the things I'm sure you have already found....the primer cup, spring, and locking screw, along with the priming punch....keep an eye on those. There is a set screw in the primer housing that sets the stroke lenth of the primer slide, or, rather, the stopping point. If the primer cup is slightly "missing" the station #2 hole, that setting could need tweaked. Go in with Q-tips and clean out the power periodically that seems to get all over everthing. Keep an eye on the shell plate screw...sometimes that can loosen. Other than that, it's a pretty fool-proof press. I used to go lots o' rounds without doing a thing, and it never had a problem, now I have a tendency to baby machinery, so I check everything constantly....and clean my guns all the time so they fu*k up at matches...etc etc etc......

I went through the same thing when I first started reloading. A good cleaning would be the first thing to do. Then replace all the small parts. Or you could send it to dillon for a overhaul. It took me about a month with talking to Dillon and ordering new parts to get it to run good.

At the bottom of the SDB primer tube there is a little plastic piece. Call it a nipple (I sure dillon has a name for it). It is the last thing to touch the primers as they leave the tube. It has little plastic grappling arms. I used to have to clean these up with a file every now and then. They get a bit chewed up after some use.

Dress the part up or replace it when you start having primer problems.

....and don't yard down too hard on the low primer buzzer when screwing it in....you can push too hard on the primer tube, and the "nipple" will press down on the "primer plunger"....(all this kooky technical jargon...)

:rolleyes:

Another possibility is that the primer seating cup and punch are not fully seated into the primer slide. Measuring with calipers from the underside of the primer slide to the top of the primer cup, this should measure 1.410", +/- .003". If necessary, use a c clamp or bench vise to fully seat these pieces into the

slide, then retighten the set screw.

Dillon,

measurement was too long then I seated it all the way, that cured the primer

launching problem, now it is less than that spec.

Dillon rep said short was fine. True?

Duane,

Winchester.

I already replaced nipple, adjusted setscews so punch and cup are centered in shellplate hole, this got me to this point, it is better but not good.

Travis F.

Thanks for all the replies, shell plate was a little loose, also a small burr under one hole on shellplate.

cleaned and lubed, etc. seemed OK without brass ( primers came up on post without a hitch )

But it worked fine without brass before too...

I will find out soon as I need to load about a truckload of ammo.

Thanks again. Travis F.

Glad your problem is solved. When all else fails, box it up & send it to Dillon, it will come back 100% right - even if you bought it 2nd-hand.

What I like about the SDB (I have 2) is that it is the best press I know of for seating the primer. I have large hands & can seat the primer with my thumb around the crank-handle and my fingers around the primer tube. Got in the habit after learning to load on my buddies Hornady Projector press.

I know I know -- I figured the worst that could happen is those 3 allen screws break: never happened. What did happen, after about 400,000 rounds, is that the crank got a crack at the bottom. This would have happened no matter how I seated the primer. They sent me a new one no charge.

For match ammo, I size every case 1st. The powder and primer assy's come off (4 screws total) and I just feed in lubed cases with the right hand and crank with the left hand. Make sure NONE of the cases are already sized or you can crush your right thumb. Very fast & allows me to then case lube the primer pockets (cases turned over in a tray). Hornady OneShot Case Lube - best stuff there is.

I have NEVER had a failure to fire after doing this & that includes Glock.

dvc - eric