Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob Cross Dominant Question

xanki

I'm a noobie to 3 gun/Multi-gun and am working on my setup. I'm a right hander, but left eye dominant. I am very comfortable shooting my pistol right handed. However, I shoot long guns left handed. Are there any others out there who shoot cross handed? Where do you keep your mag pouches? It would seem to me the immediate problem would be the pistol holster on the right hand side where you would want rifle pouches for a lefty rifle reload. Or is it better to use my right hand to hit the mag release while pulling the rifle to my shoulder with my hand on the front of the magazine well, then grab the new magazine with my left and seating it? Up until now, I haven't really considered combining weapons as you sometimes see in stages. I would be very grateful to any insight anyone may have to offer.

Specifically I'm interseted in equipment. I can do my reload ok (practice right). But I never considered a reload with my pistol on my right hip since I'm mixed up like that (lefty long gun, righty pistol). Where do people stick their mags in that situation?

I can't recall ever having to worry about doing a pistol reload and a rifle reload, becuase of the equipment. You could place your first needed mags towards the front of your torso, and the later needed ones farther back around your waist. The feel of the 2 different mags is easy to distinguish if you happen to grab the wrong one.

Production and limited 10 pistol shooters are used to having to reach way back around their waist to grab a mag, it just takes some geting used too.

Trapr

If you have the right AR magazines you should rarely have to reload. I use a couple of the DPMS 45 rounders in the hosing stages. I also often use 2 30s clamped together, especially for any stage where I'll be going prone, since the double mags with Magpuls or Arredondos on the bottom make a pretty sweet rest when prone. I always carry a spare 30, though, just in case, in a Blade Tec pouch behind my left hip. You could put one of those behind your holster. Another possibility is to use a drop pouch on your thigh like this: http://www.3gungear.com/Pages/Rifle.html

You might also want to invest in an ambi mag release. Check it out: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...MBI+MAG+RELEASE

Good luck and welcome to 3-gun! You can't hardly have more fun with your clothes on! :cheers:

I'd recommend you get an ambi mag release, a 40, 45 round magazine or beta and keep the emergency mag in the back. Like others have stated, you shouldn't need to reload but at least you have a spare if you need to. I use to keep my spare rifle mag on my left side but ever since I grabbed the rifle mag for my pistol reload, I leave it in the back. I've got it on video as a painful reminder. If it's a rifle only stage, I keep it on the left side.

Big stick mag maybe the answer, but you ought to practice reloading from the mag carrier with your 'weak' hand. How about keeping the rifle mag behind your pistol holster, far enough back to allow unobstructed access to your pistol. Keeping the rifle mag in front of you maybe another location but that would limit your shooting positions to running and standing. Just practice and see which would be less confusing and do it with a timer (the beep will add a simulated level of stress) Ambi release is also a good call. Cheers!

• 5 months later...
I'm a noobie to 3 gun/Multi-gun and am working on my setup. I'm a right hander, but left eye dominant. I am very comfortable shooting my pistol right handed. However, I shoot long guns left handed. Are there any others out there who shoot cross handed? Where do you keep your mag pouches? It would seem to me the immediate problem would be the pistol holster on the right hand side where you would want rifle pouches for a lefty rifle reload. Or is it better to use my right hand to hit the mag release while pulling the rifle to my shoulder with my hand on the front of the magazine well, then grab the new magazine with my left and seating it? Up until now, I haven't really considered combining weapons as you sometimes see in stages. I would be very grateful to any insight anyone may have to offer.

I am right handed and left eye domminant. I started shooting long guns long before I tried pistol shooting. At that point it seemed natural to shoot the pistol with my left hand as well. Fundamentally it does not change the issue of AR mag placement - instead of conflicting with the pistol, they conflict with pistol mags. I placed two AR mag holders on the back of the belt canted towards my right side. While I never had to use more than one, I like having a spare just in case. I can reach them easilly enough. For reloads, I grab the mag off the belt with my right (weak) hand, bring it up, push the mag relaese with the thumb of my right hand then slap the new mag in. This clearly gives up a bit of time to right hand shooters on standing reloads, but im my admitedly limited 3-gun experience, I have never had to do a standing reload.

Slav