Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newer 1050's couple questions

So yesterday I got to setup a newer 1050 for a company that supplies guns and such to the movie/tv industry. The press had been sent to them for the movie Shooter last year (it's scenes were cut unfortunately) and had been sitting unused since. there were 5 powder measures, 4 toolheads, 3 shell holders and 4 case plates for the case feeder. I ended up tearing the press completely apart as the props guys hadn't really put it together right the first time. It had the 45 shell holder, but with 9mm Dillon dies (included I guess) and one RCBS die as well. 9mm cases in the case feeder tube and all the bolts were loose. Kinda funny really, but I guess it looked good for the film. after some .45 dies were found I installed them (RCBS) and got everything tuned up.

So now the questions. It seemed that the actual handle stroke is shorter than on my old RL, not having both presses together I am only guessing at this? And how do you slow down the advancing of the shell plate? it seems to really snap around, quickly. A lot faster than my old RL does at least. I tried adjusting the screw that the pawl hits, but that allowed the case plate to overshoot the next position if you came up too quick with the handle. I tried searching for the above but couldn't really find anything to answer the questions.

It depends on how new the press is, I guess. The Super 1050 has had several revisions of the index lever assembly. I've just ordered the newest rev, but haven't received it yet. I have an early edition of the Super, with quite fast index. I hope the new one works well.

Edited by Ameiza

I'll call the guys and see what they have. I can't remember if it was straight or curved. They (and their boss) were quite impressed with the setup, and the speed at which it'll operate. Too bad all the scenes it was in ended up on the cutting room floor. Apparently they filmed a great deal of reloading type stuff for the movie.

• 2 weeks later...