Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aircraft Graveyard

I'm pretty sure that photo was taken in a 707-based Air Force One. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was this one:

http://www.museumofflight.org/Collection/A...C9-1087DA0DD65B

I happen to have been to the museum of flight just a week or so ago. The 707 they have there (which you can go inside of btw) is the plane that LBJ flew from DC to Dallas in when JFK was assasinated. It is NOT the plane that he was sworn in on and that carried JFKs body, that is the other 707 that JFK flew to Dallas on earlier in the day.

I'm pretty sure that photo was taken in a 707-based Air Force One. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was this one:

http://www.museumofflight.org/Collection/A...C9-1087DA0DD65B

I happen to have been to the museum of flight just a week or so ago. The 707 they have there (which you can go inside of btw) is the plane that LBJ flew from DC to Dallas in when JFK was assassinated. It is NOT the plane that he was sworn in on and that carried JFKs body, that is the other 707 that JFK flew to Dallas on earlier in the day.

Right. SAM-970 was the first jet Air Force One. (The president and vice-president don't fly together.) It's not the same aircraft as SAM-26000, which in 1962 became the primary AF1. Here's another reference from the National Museum of the Air Force.

From that link to the National Museum of the Air Force:

"Kennedy also flew aboard SAM 26000 to Dallas, Texas, where he was assassinated on Nov. 22, 1963 -- and it was on this airplane that Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in as the new president. SAM 26000 then carried John F. Kennedy's body and President Johnson back to Washington, D.C. Johnson also used 26000 to visit U.S. troops in Vietnam during the Southeast Asia War."

edited to add: good article about the history of Air Force One at wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_One

Eisenhower got three 707s in 1958 (SAM-970, -971 and -972); Kennedy got two specially-modified long-distance 707s in 1962 (SAM-26000 and -27000)

B (sorry for the thread drift...)

Edited by bgary

• 3 months later...
Went past this morning, up to 11 rows of 130's. That's just what you can see from the road. There may be more over the horizon.

(Neal, I even got to ride in one once, to Lajes AB) :blink:

Kendall

WOW! :surprise: Kendall did you get a set of plastic wings from the pilot?

:goof:

Neal in AZ

You want to touch an SR-71, go to Hill Air Base, Ogden Utah. They have an SR-71 in display in the museum, and the rope barrier for the walkway is close enough to reach. Been there a couple of times, and while the barrier is obviously supposed to be further away, it mysteriously moves on a regular basis.

(Or has, when I was last there some years ago.)