Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GUN Modifications

ActionJax

Hey guys new here and so far Ive found alot of great info. But I have a question I plan to possibly shoot in Prodution

what mods can I make to my gun??? ie Trigger Job, extended mag release, Barrel ,Spring. anything would help.

Thanks

You are allowed to do anything you want to your gun provided it is NOT an external modification. The only external modification allowed is to install sights (i.e. you can melt a sight into your slide). You are allowed to change barrels, springs, etc. Refer to US Appendix D9. What gun do you have and what mod, specifically, do you want to do?

I think there are some changes to the USPSA Production rules that will come into effect in 2008. There is a copy of the draft rules on the USPSA members page, so you may want to check it out to make sure that you don't do anything to your gun that will make it invalid in 2008.

You are allowed to do anything you want to your gun provided it is NOT an external modification.

Not entirely true... there's a list of things specifically allowed (or specifically not allowed) in the Production appendix in the USPSA rulebook. "No external modifications" is just one of the elements on that list. You cannot, for example, put in a heavy barrel, or do other things that are not on the list of "specifically allowed mods". The whole point of the division is to be competing with minimally-modified ("production") guns.

And, as brit notes, there's a copy of the proposed 2008 rules (which does make some changes) up on the USPSA website

Bruce

Thanks guys. Im shooting a XD40 4" right now and was just wondering what i "could" do I most likely wont change anything as of now but Im always looking towards the future. Thanks for the INFO

I shoot an XD40 tactical in production. I've done about everything I can that is legal for the class. List is below....

Swapped front and rear sights for Dawson Precision fixed(front is FO) - Much sharper site picture, still up in the air if I need the FO or not

3lb trigger job w/Takeup and Overtravel reduced - Makes an XD SOO much nicer to shoot, almost like cheating in production

Stainless steel guiderod - While not a big deal with tactical (not a captured setup) it would allow service to use different springs.

Canyon Creek Magazine release - NOT their big button one, looks just like stock but is offset. Apparently this is allowed since a factory Springfield custom model uses it. No one will ever notice unless they see the gun from the bottom (can see the offset) or carry a caliper with them :ph34r:

Custom Grip tape job - I didn't like the full wraps, instead I made panels for mine which adds grip where I want it.

Blade-Tech Drop Offset Holster - Yeah it's not "on" the gun but makes using the gun SO nice..

Action,

Good to have you here! If you're not a member of USPSA, I'd suggest you become one. In you membership package you'll receive a rule book and there's your guide. These forums are a great source of info and many of those "in the know", like Mr. Gary, frequent here. Also, in the USPSA web page you can review the draft rules that will come into effect on 01-01-08, before you do anything to your XD.

If you're in Jax, as your screen name implies, feel free to look me up in our local matches. I won't be at Gateway this coming Saturday, but will be in St. Augustine on the 18th.

Til then,

:cheers:

With all the legal mods, there is nothing stock about a production gun.

Actually, you are wrong there. I only have two non-stock parts on my production gun. Dawson front sight, and one spring. The rest is pure factory.

Next your going to say there is nothing stock about a stock car that goes in circles all day long. :cheers:

Edited by glock_40_caliber

With all the legal mods, there is nothing stock about a production gun.

Let's see, basically, you can change the sights (to the ones of the same type) and do a trigger job. Wow...yeah...that's WAY out on the edge of "gaming".

Rich

• 1 month later...

After 10 years of shooting Limited and finally making M Class, I'm going to give production a try. I just purchased a G34. From what I've read here, it appears I can modify the sights to Dawson Fiber Optic. Can someone who really KNOWS confirm this?

After 10 years of shooting Limited and finally making M Class, I'm going to give production a try. I just purchased a G34. From what I've read here, it appears I can modify the sights to Dawson Fiber Optic. Can someone who really KNOWS confirm this?

Sights are fine.

Fiber Optics are fine. Watch it on the rear sight. Some rear sights hang off the back

of the slide. Starting in 2008 there is a "box rule" in Production that says the gun with

mag inserted must fit in a certain size box. The 34 and 35 will fit with factory sights, but

might be too big with some aftermarket sights.

Bill