Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help A New Shooter

kdmoore

I've shot IDPA for a year, but the "dark side" is calling me. There is a local club that offers IPSC and I'll attend soon.

I shoot two pistols, a high power and a Walther p99. Both in 9mm. Which division will my equipment match up in best? I do own both nuetered and hi cap mags for both (4 17's for the hi power, 2 16's for the p99). Not planning on winning anything, just hoping not to loose :unsure:

Also, I'm considering a .40 and my current favorite is the XD that springfield has. I'd only have 10 rnders for it. Is there a good niche for it?

I looked on www.ipsc.org but it was very unclear to me.

TIA

If I were looking at those choices, I'd use the XD in Production or the HP in Limited with the 17 round mags. The thing to remember here is that in Production, everyone is scored the same, in Limited, you will be scored lower for anything not in the A zone using the 9mm.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I'd start with the P99 in Production. Everything is scored the same in Production, therefore you won't be down as much if you shot Limited or L10. I don't know if you have or not, but I'd also take a look at Glock 22 or 35. I shoot a G34 in Production right now. If you don't like the triggers, there are alot of places that do trigger jobs.

I'd start with the P99 in Production. Everything is scored the same in Production, therefore you won't be down as much if you shot Limited or L10. I don't know if you have or not, but I'd also take a look at Glock 22 or 35. I shoot a G34 in Production right now. If you don't like the triggers, there are alot of places that do trigger jobs.

Hey BJ, you ever get a trigger job on your G34?

Either of your existing guns will be great for production division. If you buy an XD, it would probably be the better of the 3. Remember that in production (much like SSP & ESP), you only need to make a 125pf. If you do buy a 40, then it would be to your competitive advantage to work up a good minor load (as in 130-140pf) for the 40. Also, production only allows 10 round magazines so no problem there.

Matt, I do my own trigger jobs. I tried clipping my striker spring, was sweet, but had a light strike, so in trash it went. I need to get a drill bit to finish the trigger bar I've been working on. Almost through it, but the drill bit wore out before I could finish. ( I ditched the drill press and went for the Dremal baby.) I have a certificate for a JP Glock trigger that I picked up at FL Open, but I don't need it.