Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feelings on Precision Bullets?

VeryBadshot

Alright, I ordered some now help me out here. Never loaded lead before only fmj and plated.

What will I need to do differently ? Do I lube ?

Right now I shooting Barry's 180 plated with 4.6gr Tightgroup doing about 960-970 from an STI Edge

Really tuned in and would like to keep close to the same impulse, Will most likely go with WST for smoke

control, got the 185's

In my .40 Edge I use 4.4 of VV320 or WST with the 185 Precision bullet. Loaded to 1.180 COL

Start low and load up with caution. I think you will end up somewhere around low to mid 4.00,

ie 4.2-4.5

You made a good choice on bullets, they are great for limited.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No lube required but they will smoke a bit with TiteGroup, which is what I use. Indoors can be tough at times if it's a stand and shoot, reload shoot again type of stage, but outdoors not near as bad unless there is no wind at all. May have had one issue in the last year or so. Don't let the smoke stop you from using TG if you have some...

Try Solo 1000. I did a big test with 147gr Precisions in 9mm, and the Solo 1000 came out on top for no smoke, accuracy, SD, and cost. Can't beat it, and it's burn ratio should be good enough you can do a 40 S&W load with it. Oh ya, it's a single base powder just like N320, no NG, not temp sensitive either.

Alright, I ordered some now help me out here. Never loaded lead before only fmj and plated.

What will I need to do differently ? Do I lube ?

Right now I shooting Barry's 180 plated with 4.6gr Tightgroup doing about 960-970 from an STI Edge

Really tuned in and would like to keep close to the same impulse, Will most likely go with WST for smoke

control, got the 185's

You may need to open the bell just a tad so that the case edges don't scrape the coating off. Check your crimp if you adjust. Don't crimp too tight. Never tried WST. I can say that in my gun Universal Clays or Titegroup plus Precision equals enough smoke to give you a case of black lung. Power Pistol works better for me and N320 doesn't look smokey out of other people's guns, but I'm too cheap to buy it.

Might want to also look at Bear Creek Bullets. I have been using Bear Creek moly coated bullets 5000 rds now. . I was just going to use them for practice but found that in my gun a " Bedell Lightning" the Bear Creeks bullets shot, and fed really well so I have been using them for matches also. My only complaint is that the weights fluctuate slightly. The 180 gr. Bullets weigh from 180.8 to about 183 but I really can’t remember ever having a bullet lighter than 180gr. I shoot and practice with a High Master PPC shooter who is also a Master Class IPSC shooter He loaded 500 rds of the Bear Creeks and liked them also our last order we got 15,000 bullets. Our 15,000 bullet order took about three weeks to be delivered. The smaller orders I had placed took about 1 week for delivery. We have not had any leading problems in our guns. I have a Schuemann Hybrid AET barrel in my gun and my shooting partner uses a Barstow barrel.

Bear Creek

Looks like Bear Creek has closed shop. They have nothing in stock!!!!!!!!

Must give my praise to Precision Bullets! Last week I ordered a case (2500) of their 185gr 40cal.. I got a

response that they are on backorder. I called, I think it was Dave, and asked what they do have, this was Wed

I belive. He said he had some 155's so I changed my order to a case (3000).

Two days later (Sat) I got my bullets with no extra shipping costs. Man the mail guy was "pissed" (69lbs) at box rate. :P

They are excellent, all avrg about 157.3gr, loading them today and will post performance. I was really glad to deal with them

and if they shoot as good this is going to be my new supplier. I just hope the post office does not catch on!! :lol:

It was touched on very briefly here, but is it OK to shoot these from a factory Glock barrel?

I ran seversl thousand through my hexagonal rifled HK USP40 last rear with only routine cleaning. No worries Big Shooter. Harold H.

Edited by HHjr

Alright, I've put about 1100 through my gun so far and with WST I

cant even notice that I'm shooting lead, Excellent bullet, excellent

accuracy,feeding,etc.. Very happy with the bullets, and the price !!

Did smoke a little with Tightgroup but even that would be alright with

a little breeze. I'm pushing them past major velocity and noticed some

minor streaking in the first 1/2" of a groove or two after about 300rnds.

Easy cleaning with some #9 and a bronze brush..