Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barsto Barrels, are they $200 better than stock barrel?

scorpiusdeus

$200 more than *whose* barrels?

Some of the thread titles around here are really ticking me off lately, because they're implying things that simply aren't true. Bar-Sto's prices are pretty much exactly in line with industry pricing. The only thing that's $200 *less* than Bar-Sto is some gunshow chinese knock-off POS that may or may not do the Elmer Fudd when you hit the trigger.

Bar-Sto may not be Tacti-Cool or considered Ze Plus Avante-Garde by the French racing elite, but they have a hell of a lot of happy customers who were just tickled to hand over their hard-earned dinero in exchange for a fresh barrel.

$200 more than *whose* barrels?

Some of the thread titles around here are really ticking me off lately, because they're implying things that simply aren't true. Bar-Sto's prices are pretty much exactly in line with industry pricing. The only thing that's $200 *less* than Bar-Sto is some gunshow chinese knock-off POS that may or may not do the Elmer Fudd when you hit the trigger.

Bar-Sto may not be Tacti-Cool or considered Ze Plus Avante-Garde by the French racing elite, but they have a hell of a lot of happy customers who were just tickled to hand over their hard-earned dinero in exchange for a fresh barrel.

Exactly.. you know what you're getting when you get a Bar-Sto barrel.

I understood that from the *thread*, but just perusing through the titles I came away with the distinct impression that Irv was charging $200 over market prices.

And FWIW, a factory barrel is $130 to $150, and Irv isn't charging $330 to $400 for any barrel that I can find. My only point is that I think that some of the phraseology that gets thrown out isn't very fair to "the accused."

Edited by EricW

I understood that from the *thread*, but just perusing through the titles I came away with the distinct impression that Irv was charging $200 over market prices.

And FWIW, a factory barrel is $130 to $150, and Irv isn't charging $330 to $400 for any barrel that I can find. My only point is that I think that some of the phraseology that gets thrown out isn't very fair to "the accused."

Now in reading the thread title I didn't come to that impression. I thought along the line of "What makes Irv's barrel worth me shelling out $200.00, when I have a perfectly good "free" barrel that came with the gun?"

I think it has been said already, but if you want/need a good barrel then a BarSto barrel is a very known commodity.

Ray

I'll be throwin' one in the G22 back home just because I like the way a silver barrel looks in a Glock. The one that's in there is shot out pretty well and what the hey...Irv's a super guy and has been a sponsor of our sport(s) for a long, long time.

Rich

My apologies to anyone who felt I was "accusing" Barsto of over charging. As some here have understood, I was in fact just wondering if the Bar Sto Barrel was worth spending $200 dollars on instead of using the stock barrel that came with my XD.

It would seem that to consensus is that they are worth another $200 investment.

Again, no harm intended.

My apologies to anyone who felt I was "accusing" Barsto of over charging. As some here have understood, I was in fact just wondering if the Bar Sto Barrel was worth spending $200 dollars on instead of using the stock barrel that came with my XD.

It would seem that to consensus is that they are worth another $200 investment.

Again, no harm intended.

With that, I tweaked the thread title.. hopefully that will clarify some.

as the price increases, i'd expect the grouping to decrease. anyone want to post some before and after numbers?

-N

Yes.

A few days ago I installed a Bar-Sto barrel in a Sig Sauer P 229 in .40 S&W, replacing the original factory barrel. Nothing wrong with the original barrel, it was working fine and yielding good size grouping, etc. But the customer saw the Bar-Sto barrel in my counter and was curious about it. After fitting, (and it required some grinding above, below, the hood, and reshaping of the throat, and polishing) the customer paid much more than $200.00

Later that day the customer called me from the range. He was ecstatic!!! Shooting both barrels interchangeably the Bar-Sto out-shot the factory barrell by a gigantic margin,especially out to the 25 yard ranges.

Now, this was only one incident, and results may vary. No manufacturer will guarrantee ultimate success with their products. But with barrels such as Bar-Sto, Schuemann, KKM and others that offer a "fittable" barrel, then the pistolsmith can do wonders that are not possible with the factory parts.

No.

I'll rephrase. Does anyone have numbers (other than $200) to show that their pistol groups better with an aftermarket barrel?

For example: "my pistol shot 3 inch groups at 25 yards with the stock barrel, after installaing a Barsto it shot 1.5 inch groups at the same distance"

just looking for some numerical data for myself and the guy who started this conversation.

thanks for the help.

-N

No.

I'll rephrase. Does anyone have numbers (other than $200) to show that their pistol groups better with an aftermarket barrel?

For example: "my pistol shot 3 inch groups at 25 yards with the stock barrel, after installaing a Barsto it shot 1.5 inch groups at the same distance"

just looking for some numerical data for myself and the guy who started this conversation.

thanks for the help.

-N

Ok. So you want specific numbers ... I did not shoot that Sig Sauer, nor was I present when my customer did it, but I trust him tho tell me the square facts. I talked to him about specifics. With the original factory barrel, at 25 yards (bench rest) the gun was/is grouping average of five to six inches groups of ten shots. With the new Bar-Sto barrel he is making one to one and a half inch groups of ten. Same gun, same ammo, and same day.

Does this satisfy the parameters of your question ?????

I think the point of replacement barrels is getting very lost here. You can choose to buy a new barrel because:

- You're building a new gun (i.e. Venry is building you that 6" Limited of your dreams)

- You have a worn-out barrel

- Your factory barrel is unsatisfactory for whatever reason

- You want to shoot lead in your Glock (or other hammer-forged/polygonally rifled pistol), and your particular polygonally-rifled barrel has a leading problem for whatever reason.

I don't think Bar-Sto is running amok telling people that their barrels will automatically improve upon a factory barrel's performance. BarSto's website basically says "we make good stuff that wins matches and have been doing so a long time." All of which is true.

Whether or not you *need* a new barrel is up to your determination, not BarSto, Shuemann, KKM, or anyone else. I think the general consensus among experienced shooters is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Buy Ammo." There's no shortage of talented shooters succeeding with the factory barrel in their pistol.

However, in the case Venry detailed above, a Bar-Sto replacement was extremely appropriate. 5-6" at 25 yards is pretty tough to succeed with when shooting a plate rack. The owner of the pistol had to have been ecstatically happy with the new barrel because 1.5" at 25 is about as good as it gets with a compact auto and saved himself from buying a new Sig, which may or may not have met his expectations.

BTW, y'all may wish to be careful on who you debate on here because Venry is a sharp cat. ;)

Edited by EricW

• 5 weeks later...

Well, for me, I had a reason to put a Bar-Sto barrel in my SiG 226. I bought it as a DAK in 357SIG and turned it into a TDA/9mm USPSA Production gun.

A factory SiG 9mm bbl won't swap with the 226 built for .40 or 357SIG. I bought a semi-drop in that required me to send the entire pistol to Irv for fitting. A Grayguns Comp. Reset Package and Dawson/Warren sights and I'm quite happy with it.

Now to tighten that loose nut behind the trigger... :lol: