Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you want to hurt less and move better

John Kane

I always thought yoga was kind of silly. Lot's of stretching and no real excercise. A lot of time for minimal benefit.

I have chronic neck pain and will try anything I can to manage the pain. My wife suggested Bikram Yoga and I remembered reading something about it on Henning's website so I figured what the heck.

HOLY COW! It is an intense work out. But better yet, I've been doing it 3 days a week for a month now and can't believe the improvements. My knees are moving freely again, my neck feels better, and I have more energy. The first month has been really tough. A lot of postures hurt like hell but I'm now seeing some amazing results from it. I've lost 10lbs and gained mobility, flexibilty and balance I never dreamed I could have.

And I think it's really going to help my shooting. The balance and core strength has to help and I'm now looking forward to that low port as I can bend my knees all the way down there without any problem.

Just wanted to pass this on to others that find their joints aren't working like they used to.

John

Did you get a DVD?

I have a CD that I do when I can't make it to the studio but it's much better to do it in a class. Part of it is being in a hot room and I'm finding the instructors make a big difference. They really help correct form mistakes that I can't see as well as pushing and motivating you.

What makes a good yoga insructor? My chiropractor recommended it, but I haven't pursued it seriously.

My experience has been more with the type of yoga than the instructor. I went to a few at my gym and it just wasn't very hard. We spent more time "relaxing" than anything else. I'm the first to agree I need to relax but I'm also trying to get stronger and that wasn't doing it. And I didn't pay enough attention to what kind of yoga it was so I don't know what to steer you away from.

But I do know that Bikram Yoga is the same, if not very similar everywhere. So look for a Bikram Yoga studio near you. But be ready, it's really hard but I've been getting great benefit from it. No pain no gain. I googled "Bikram Austin" and found the place I'm going to. Their website has a world wide list of available classes. http://www.bikramyoga.com/

I went back and found Henning's write up on it... see what he has to say. http://www.henningshootsguns.com/exercise.html

If there isn't one near you or it's too intense, I think if you go to a real Yoga studio and not just a gym facility with a yoga instructor you'll be better off as well. But I'm just guessing and haven't tried them.

"Yoga for beginners", whatever the technical term, involves a lot of stretching and relaxing. The kick-your-butt Yogas are the ones you want if you don't like a little nap during your workout..

The benefits of cardiovascular exercise and flexibility training are dramatic for your health as well as shooting. Some shooting applications:

-Besides keeping your weight down, cardiovascular training will give you endurance on two levels. The first allows you to better endure a long, hot day at a major match. While the competition is roasting and exhausted, you remain full of energy and ready to rock.

-The other is for the long runs in this sport. There was a stage at the South Carolina Sectional that had a good 60 foot run, where at the end you would engage a Texas Star through a port. Stars are difficult enough by themselves, but if you are sucking wind, they become infinitely more difficult. Being in shape will allow you to recover your breath faster.

-Flexibility will allow you to snap up on reclined starts, as well as navigate high and low ports without difficulty. Staving off sprains and pulled muscles is a must, and if you routinely participate in flexibility training, you are better equipped with warding these incidents off.

John, glad you are benefiting from yoga. Keep up the good work!

The benefits of cardiovascular exercise and flexibility training are dramatic for your health as well as shooting. Some shooting applications:

-Besides keeping your weight down, cardiovascular training will give you endurance on two levels. The first allows you to better endure a long, hot day at a major match. While the competition is roasting and exhausted, you remain full of energy and ready to rock.

-The other is for the long runs in this sport. There was a stage at the South Carolina Sectional that had a good 60 foot run, where at the end you would engage a Texas Star through a port. Stars are difficult enough by themselves, but if you are sucking wind, they become infinitely more difficult. Being in shape will allow you to recover your breath faster.

-Flexibility will allow you to snap up on reclined starts, as well as navigate high and low ports without difficulty. Staving off sprains and pulled muscles is a must, and if you routinely participate in flexibility training, you are better equipped with warding these incidents off.

John, glad you are benefiting from yoga. Keep up the good work!

I run about 6 miles a day, and lift weights. Curbed my food intake and performed at nationals, at least at a physical level with no problems....other than the flexibility. Still have alot of fat weight to lose. Keeping a keen eye out for any yoga classes, yet none so far in my area. Any suggestions for a DVD that is good? I have been running short sprints with a 10lb dumbell, held aloft like a blaster...dunno cannot hurt i figure.

There really isn't a good substitute for going to classes...for a while. Once you get the gist of it, ask the instructor to recommend a DVD. The YMCA, colleges, and local dojos would be a good place to find yoga classes.

"Yoga for beginners", whatever the technical term, involves a lot of stretching and relaxing. The kick-your-butt Yogas are the ones you want if you don't like a little nap during your workout..

And this brings up another point... the Bikram Yoga I'm doing is for beginners. There are people of all skills, weights, sizes, etc. there and it's all good. Don't let it deter you if you've never done yoga before. That's what they're there to teach you. And it's also amazing to see the people that can stick their knee in the ear.

And I agree with Pharoah, go to a class at first to at least get the gist of it. If there aren't any classes available at all then at least have a big mirror so you can see where you need to make corrections.

• 3 months later...

A bikram yoga studio just opened here where I live....I took a free class Tuesday and signed up that night. Three classes so far and I already can feel the difference. The first two classes were in the evening so when I got home, I drank more water and went to bed. Didn't really feel all that tired or sore (hams were a bit tight but not horrible). Today I took the class at 9am. I have energy but my muscles are tired, very tired. The heat didn't bother me as much as I thought. Must be acclimated to it since Texas in August is about the same temp as they keep the yoga room! :goof:

BTW, you do get to rest in between poses...for all of thirty seconds (except for a couple planned places)... :lol:

Rob is the best Iron sighted pistol shooter in history in spite of the fact of his physical conditioning.

Imagine what will happen when someone with Rob's skill with a pistol and top notch athletic conditioning comes around.

Anyone who says you can be overweight and still compete at the top level of your potential is lying to you.