Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Frame STI ?

smokshwn

Has STI ever made an aluminum tactical frame available as a frame only?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75749669

The answer is YES.

The "Tactical 2" was/is based in either a steel or aluminum Commander lenght frame with rails. I have used this frame as a favorite to build "Compact/Carry" and Officers Model sized double stack carry guns. Nice light frame indeed !!!!

Yes, and I have one. It's amazing how light the frame it is. It's a 4.15 tactical in 9mm and very fun to shoot.

Some controversy on durability but this isn't my competition gun so it doesn't see that much action.

Venry,

What was the cost for the frames. This peaked my interest for a carry gun.

I can't recall my exact cost ( or the retail) on those frames (or if they are presently available), but after reviewing the auction site item posted I think the price might be a bit on the high side. If you insist on spending that kind of money, may I suggest you call Brandon (tell him I sent you) at SVI/IInfinity and inquire about their compact frames. Infinity compact frames are the same dimensions as the one you mentioned, but can be built in steel, aluminum, stainless steel and titanium. Their aluminum and titanium frames can also be had with "steel" rail insert clips to minimize wear and assist fitting. Their price for these little wonders are not far away from the "buy now" price listed at the auction.

just one guy's two cents, and probably not worth that...

I carried / carry an all steel 5" STI, the old "Mall Ninja Supremo" when I was down South, and before that a frame up STI "CCO" type gun similar to a "Hawk" or "VIP" but with a bushing barrel, and before they made one.

13-15 rounds of .40 and roughly 28 ounces in the little one, 32 ounces (with mag) and 18+1 for the latest one. They carry nice just like they are, steel frame and all. About like a LW Commander or CCO, but more BB's.

PM me if I can help or just bug you further with my opinions.

Edited by dirtypool40

Craig,

For my money, I'd get a steel frame and let Venry or Benny put that puppy on a diet before I bought aluminum. You can really take a lot of meat out of those frames without losing any practical strength.

Benny is building my a FF 5" right now. Let me post the results of that endeavor before you go crazy. Should be back in 4 or 5 weeks by the time Benny does his magic and it comes back from Tripp.

E

Since the only thing that would be aluminum is the little metal piece that actually meets the gun, and not the whole grip like a conventional 1911, how much weight savings is there in going with aluminum? I don't seem to remember that the steel piece actually weighs all that much to begin with.

Benny just built me a steel 45 tactical W/light rail.To lighten it i have a standard STI ramped bushing barrel which saved over 1.5oz over a bull barrel plus i wanted it easier to take down in the field since its a tactical not a competition gun, then went with a standard recoil spring and plug with saves another oz over a full length guide,then had him cut back the light rail from 3/4 lenth to shorter standard dust cover length which will still accept a light saving more weight,next not only did i not want a mag well funnel adding more weight i had him chop down the front of the of the one already built on the grip rounding it off,and lastly he lightened the slide taking off a little more.On the STI website it says the tactical is a little over 35oz,but i know that has to be without a mag in it.My gun on my scale weighs in with a 126mm mag in it at 34oz.Thats as light as a steel colt officer model.I dont have the stigma off alum frame and my gun cant be any heavier than a few oz more than what you can do with alum frame.

Benny just built me a steel 45 tactical W/light rail.To lighten it i have a standard STI ramped bushing barrel which saved over 1.5oz over a bull barrel plus i wanted it easier to take down in the field since its a tactical not a competition gun, then went with a standard recoil spring and plug with saves another oz over a full length guide,then had him cut back the light rail from 3/4 lenth to shorter standard dust cover length which will still accept a light saving more weight,next not only did i not want a mag well funnel adding more weight i had him chop down the front of the of the one already built on the grip rounding it off,and lastly he lightened the slide taking off a little more.On the STI website it says the tactical is a little over 35oz,but i know that has to be without a mag in it.My gun on my scale weighs in with a 126mm mag in it at 34oz.Thats as light as a steel colt officer model.I dont have the stigma off alum frame and my gun cant be any heavier than a few oz more than what you can do with alum frame.

Damn, we needs pics of that thing.

My light gun is on a short SV light rail frame, 5" bushing, Heinie Rear, Krebs Plastic Magwell, 1 pc. SS guide rod. I actually used to have two, and Benny built one of them.