Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my first STI and I have a couple of questions

aggunner

I got my first STI today and put a couple hundred rounds through it at work and it was shooting about 2" low at 15 yards. What are y'alls reccomendation on an adjustable rear sight?

Second, I'm expecting the recoil master to break and as wondering if there are any preferred guide rod set ups out there.

Lastly, I'm going to recontour the grip tomorrow when the gun gets back from my smith, who is doing a trigger job, and I don't know whether to stipple to frame or epoxy/sand it. What's the preferred method?

whoops, forgot one thing. Who sells a standard length mainspring housing pin? I won't be using the magwell for my class and want to practice my shooting and reloads without it.

Edited by aggunner

Ag, what rear sight is on it? Unless it is the STI version of a Bo-Mar you will be really limited in rear sight choices.

STI guide rods are cheap @$15 or so from Chuck at Shooters Connection, and they work great. Make sure the head fits inside the frame cut, you may have to turn the head down just a bit. Get an assortment of ISMI springs from Chuck when you order the guide rod.

I like the stippled grips myself.

Let me look through my stuff around here, I can probably scare up a short mainspring housing pin for you.

Ag, what rear sight is on it? Unless it is the STI version of a Bo-Mar you will be really limited in rear sight choices.

STI guide rods are cheap @$15 or so from Chuck at Shooters Connection, and they work great. Make sure the head fits inside the frame cut, you may have to turn the head down just a bit. Get an assortment of ISMI springs from Chuck when you order the guide rod.

I like the stippled grips myself.

Let me look through my stuff around here, I can probably scare up a short mainspring housing pin for you.

thank you

and the rear sight is a novak cut.

As for stippling or epoxy/sand your grip, how about shooting the gun in a match first. You might find the stock grip might meet your needs. If you need more grip, stippling or epoxy/sand, imho, is more a personal preference. I like both but lean towards the stippling with a few patches of grip tape here and there.

Edited by yoshidaex

and the rear sight is a novak cut.

As long as you're sure it's the gun and not the user, you can file down the front sight. You'll also want to be ecstatically happy with your load before you go filing. If you're shooting a 165 gr or less slug, you *could* try a 200 gr bullet and see if it raised the POI at all. (Works with revos, not sure about autos.)

Once you search around for adjustable sights for that Novak cut, you'll learn (the hard way, just like we all did) to make sure you specify a Bomar-cut regardless of whether your gun comes with fixed or adjustable sights.

Oh, and if you're new to the STI, my recommendation is to not do anything permanent to the grip. Stippling and grit grips have wildly different handling characteristics. You definitely should be trying out *other* people's guns first live fire before messing with grip alterations. I had a grip that had every "cool" modification there was done to it. I decided I like exactly none of them.

FWIW....

Edited by EricW

I have traction issues with all of my guns and need the most aggressive texture I can get plus i like to get my hand as high as I possibly can. After just 300rds I can already tell you that I don't like the square corners on the front strap and it feels awkward when rotating the gun around in my hand for the reload. And as far as it being me, I had 5 of my coworkers shoot it and it shot low for all of them. But I can't file the front since it came with night sights.

With the ammo selection, I'll be shooting a mix of factory and hand loads. The classes i attent require factory ammo.

Edited by aggunner

I got my first STI today and put a couple hundred rounds through it at work and it was shooting about 2" low at 15 yards. What are y'alls reccomendation on an adjustable rear sight?

Second, I'm expecting the recoil master to break and as wondering if there are any preferred guide rod set ups out there.

Lastly, I'm going to recontour the grip tomorrow when the gun gets back from my smith, who is doing a trigger job, and I don't know whether to stipple to frame or epoxy/sand it. What's the preferred method?

whoops, forgot one thing. Who sells a standard length mainspring housing pin? I won't be using the magwell for my class and want to practice my shooting and reloads without it.

I have the STI TAS sight that will fit in that sight cut. I dont remember but is there enough room to file the front sight down without getting into the tritium? Maybe try a different ammo also.

The recoilmaster wont break with a 9mm. The first generation did have a problem but the flange was made thicker and the breakages have all but stopped. I know of a first generation that lasted 4 years in my first Spitfire until it broke. This is with Major loads, 9mm factory wont stress it as much. Well it may break eventually just like almost every other part eventually.

The epoxy and grit works. I used to sell the Perma grip whihc was a grit & epoxy type. Problem is they wore out rahter quickly. Now I like the stippling since it does not wear out.

I may have a pin laying around. Give me a call tomorrow.

You really owe it to yourself to see if you can find a stippled STI and someone with a grit grip to compare the two too. Stippling is indeed "aggressive," but I find that it severely underperforms a grit grip. It's the difference between having dozens of traction points and tens of thousands. The stippling will probably be easier on your clothes. If this is a working gun, the grit grip will perform better when wet or covered with blood (user feedback, not personal experience).

The only reason I'm posting is that I don't want to see you go through a series of $100 to $150 experiments. I'm not sure how close you are to one of the major TX gunmakers, but you may want to make a field trip.

Wish you would have posted about a week ago b/c I would have simply sent you my stippled, undercut grip to try out. If you're absolutely sure of what you want, give Benny Hill a shout at www.triangleshootingsports.com Benny's turnaround times are simply the best.

If your close enough to Benny you might be able to drive over there and feel a few grips and get him to do it while you wait.

chuck, i got the gun from y'all through my work and I was an idiot and forgot to ask for the pin when I was at it. And there isn't too much room on that front sight, I'll file it down a bit and see if I can get the POI to get closer to POA. Unfortunately benny is about 8 hours away from me.

Eric, i saw your grip up for trade and i was just a bit too late on it.

I know this is off topic, but y'all have been extremely helpful and i really appreciate it.

Edited by aggunner

If your close enough to Benny you might be able to drive over there and feel a few grips and get him to do it while you wait.

chuck, i got the gun from y'all through my work and I was an idiot and forgot to ask for the pin when I was at it. And there isn't too much room on that front sight, I'll file it down a bit and see if I can get the POI to get closer to POA. Unfortunately benny is about 8 hours away from me.

Eric, i saw your grip up for trade and i was just a bit too late on it.

I know this is off topic, but y'all have been extremely helpful and i really appreciate it.

Before everybody started stippling grips I used to just take off 3 rows of checkering on each corner of the grips which gave the grip a completely different feel. Now its evolved to what we have today, a shaped grip with stippling. You can try it your self and only risk 109.99 for a new grip. Just take it slow and dont take off too much material or stipple too deep. Or I sell a pre-stippled grip.

If you dont find a fix on the sight call and we will talk about options.

I have been shooting an Edge now for about 8 months. I did not like the grip at all, but avoided stippling. I rounded out the edges on the grip and threw on some of Eric's grip tape. It is a totally different gun. Try the tape first, its only $25 versus $100 for a new grip.

I use a STI solid metal guide rod, and it feels better than the recoil master. It wasn't that expensive.

Good luck on the sights. If it is a duty gun, get used to kentucky windage or go with the bomar.