Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate rack purchase

unclez

I am wanting to buy or build a Bianchi type plate rack. The cheapest one I've seen is like $1000. bucks and I really do not want to spend that much.

I would like it to be somewhat lightweight and quick to assemble. In other words it needs to be portable. Anyone know of someone who builds these type fairly cheap or maybe have a spec sheet (diagram) so I may could build one myself?

I've got three of the MGM speed plates and probably will get three more. Set them up on a metal sawhorse or other platform and they can

function as a plate rack. Spring loaded so you don't have to reset them. I'm looking into building my own as I have access to a good plasma

cutter, but the cost of armored plate is so high it doesn't seem cost effective. I'm a little spooked about using lighter or softer steel as I've been

to a couple of shoots where the steel shoots back and it's no fun. I haven't shot the MGM's all that much yet but with major .40 and .45 loads as

close as 7 yards there isn't a ding or dimple on them.

A set of MGM plates plus hinges will set you back about $350. Then you'll need the splash plate protect the hinges, which will cost a couple hundred.

Retail price on steel is now topping $1/lb. You do the math from there.

Unless you simply *cannot* buy what you want, it's tough to make it make sense if you're buying steel at retail.

I just had one built for our club. With the materials it cost 550.00 to fabricate. I used ar400 for the plates and the front splash area. I had a local builder do it, wonderful job.

We currently have a plate rack on the drawing board and what you ask for are exactly the reasons we are making it.

check back in a few months to see how our project is going.

we will be testing it in the next few months.

david

ps I don't have a projected cost yet but will when we introduce it.

Around here I've seen quite a few locally-built plate racks that work anywhere from poorly to pretty well... and hold up anywhere from poorly to pretty well... While at the same time the MGM racks that see more use are still in excellent shape. It's more $, but he builds them for a living.

Unclez, We just bought 2 sets of falling plates from Gary Harmon in Altamont,TN. Met Gary at the FL Sectionals this year and he had an example with him. I wanted AR500 plates in 3/8" with an AR500 front splash plate. We paid $950 each which seemed reasonalbe considering the price of AR500 plate and shipping now a days. Gary's come with wheels which of course are removable. One person can easily push them around. The plates are canted slightly forward so fragments are deflected downward. Gary is a small operation and I'm sure can modify if wanted. His phone number is (913) 692-3792.

snglrow100_0097(Small).jpg

Edited by itento

Unclez, We just bought 2 sets of falling plates from Gary Harmon in Altamont,TN. Met Gary at the FL Sectionals this year and he had an example with him. I wanted AR500 plates in 3/8" with an AR500 front splash plate. We paid $950 each which seemed reasonalbe considering the price of AR500 plate and shipping now a days. Gary's come with wheels which of course are removable. One person can easily push them around. The plates are canted slightly forward so fragments are deflected downward. Gary is a small operation and I'm sure can modify if wanted. His phone number is (913) 692-3792.

snglrow100_0097(Small).jpg