Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lasik - How long before you resumed shooting?

Title says it all. I get Lasik next Wednesday. My only concern is how long I need to wait before exposing my eyes to muzzle blast again.

(I can't wait. After years of contacts and thick glasses, I will be ecstatic to be 20/30 when it's done.)

Title says it all. I get Lasik next Wednesday. My only concern is how long I need to wait before exposing my eyes to muzzle blast again.

(I can't wait. After years of contacts and thick glasses, I will be ecstatic to be 20/30 when it's done.)

As I recall...I think I layed off shooting for 2 - 3 weeks after getting it done. It's been about 2 years for me now and I'm still 20/15 :rolleyes:

When we did A1-2005-Missoula together...I was about 6 weeks post Lasik.

Cool. I have high hopes then. They better make me 20/10 or I'll cry and want my money back. ;)

I guess I'm going to slide back into shooting gradually. My only real concern is braked rifles. My understanding is that they can still (deliberately - for retreatment) peel up the flap up to 6 mos after you have the surgery...which I never would have guessed. :o

Forum member ScottR might have some feedback ;) He just had it done recently, and was in the group that had a lot of light sensitivity afterwards....

I guess I'm going to slide back into shooting gradually. My only real concern is braked rifles. My understanding is that they can still (deliberately - for retreatment) peel up the flap up to 6 mos after you have the surgery...which I never would have guessed. :o

Just checked my calender for 2005...I waited 4 weeks after having it done before shooting my first match. Yeah..they can lift the flap up to a year from what I understand (thats why they tell you that you can have tweaks up to 12 months). When I asked them how long before it was completely healed...they told me the last flap heals in 2 years...apparently they cut through 5 layers when they cut the flap.

I also had a lot of light sensitivity problems.....which persisted for about 6 months. Don't know if you remember (or I should say...don't remember if you were working my stage at the time) but I had an light incident while working that match in Missoula where all of a sudden...my eyes got light overload and started flooding tears for about 10 minutes...it was brought on by my yellow tint glasses...and the sun popping out for a bit. The combination just overloaded my eyes...but I didn't realize it until it was too late...and it hit like a freight train with no warning.

Edited by SteveZ

I'm aware of the disadvantages. Dry eyes, halos, etc... You have to keep in mind where I'm coming from. I'm +6/+7 diopters corrected. Contacts make my eyes dry and red. Wearing glasses while skiing and biking is a royal PITA. My lenses are so thick that wearing glasses is physically painful.

Unless I go completely blind, it's going to be difficult for any complication resulting from Lasik to put me in a worse spot than where I currently am. Ever got dust in your contact while on final approach? Not a lotta fun...

I'm aware of the disadvantages. Dry eyes, halos, etc... You have to keep in mind where I'm coming from. I'm +6/+7 diopters corrected. Contacts make my eyes dry and red. Wearing glasses while skiing and biking is a royal PITA. My lenses are so thick that wearing glasses is physically painful.

Unless I go completely blind, it's going to be difficult for any complication resulting from Lasik to put me in a worse spot than where I currently am. Ever got dust in your contact while on final approach? Not a lotta fun...

Its been more than 18 months since I had Lasik done, and I rarely use the eyedrops anymore, except if I have been reading a lot.

I had some starburst/halo for up to 3 months at night post-op, but that was predicted and my night vision is vastly improved compared to pre-Lasik.

My vision was pretty bad, maybe 20/400 with some astigmatism. The astigmatism required me to use Toric lenses, which bothered me a great deal. Plus they cost a whole lot more than the B&L Optima FW's I had been using for years.

My vision corrected out to 20/10 and is stable at 20/15 in both eyes.

Had it done at about 1400, went home via LiotaTaxi, went to bed. Got up the next morning, drove myself to the doctor's office for the follow-up check, then drove to the DMV and got a licence marked "without restrictions" :surprise:

Went to the range that evening.

That was three years ago. Still 20/15 (from six diopters-20/800). Yep, best money I've ever spent.

Alex

I waited about 6 weeks as per my doctors advice. It sucked, and I probably could have gone back sooner...but it's your vision you're playing with.

Follow all instructions exactly as written / given and the surgery will be a breeze. The aftercare is pain, but I followed it to the T. At my 1 year follow up, the doctor couldn't find the incision. He attributed that to me actually following the aftercare to the T and not shortcutting it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of no more glasses or contacts.

Ray

Welcome to the club. You are going to love it!

I had mine done two days before Christmas. So there really wasn't any matches to shoot in Minnesota until February. I pretty much did that on purpose so I wouldn't have any "down" time during the shooting season, just in case. I was seeing 20/15 the very next day, though! :cheers: But just to be safe I didn't do any shooting for at least three weeks.

I had mine done 3 yrs ago. Best money I ever spent!!!!!! My .02, do what the doctor tells you but I was out at the range in 2 weeks. Good choice to get it done! I would recommend it to anyone.