Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Price check on Sierra bullets from Cabela's

Chills1994

Hi everyone,

I am new to AR's and reloading .223. I was at a local Cabela's store the other day and was doing some price shopping on .223 bullets. It seemed like they had the Sierra bullets mostly, w/ a few Hornady boxes placed here and there.

Here are the prices I recorded (all Sierra, all 500 bullets in a box)

1. 53gr HP Match 1400C $79.99

2. 55gr Blitzking 1455C $87.99

3. 77 gr HPBT Matchking 9377 $104.99

4. 80 gr HPBT Matchking 9390 $116.99

How do they compare to other places? (remember to tack on shipping and handling charges if they are being shipped from some place like Natchez or Midway)

Thanks,

Chills

There is always the option of the Hornady 55 grain FMJ w/cannellure for right at $70 per thou from Grafs. Will shoot 1 moa out of my rifles. Or the Hornady Vmax, which is also very accurate although much more expensive at $31 per 250 count box. Still less expensive than the Sierra BlitzKings.

Okay! Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah I will definitely have to look at the Hornady 55 gr FMJ's next time I'm at Cabela's.

So are you saying I should be looking for a bullet w/ a cannelure?

Back when I had an M1A, the reloading manual did suggest using a bullet w/ a cannelure. That is supposed to keep the bullet from getting set deeper into the case as it recoils.

Is that still the case w/ AR's in .223?

Another place, that friends use is Powder Valley. I've not yet done business with them, but prices look pretty decent. Otto Weber is a great person to dea with. They'r big into Highpower, and during Camp Perry have limited personel at the shop.

With proper neck tension you don't need a canalure, and don't need crimp on rifle rounds.