Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing light into safe

ampleworks

My safe is about as dark as a NYC alley! For the past year, I've been using some of those AA battery "tap lights" that used to be sold on TV. I've dealt with them since but the safe is in a dark corner of the room ("L" shaped room) along with the door swings toward the overhead light blocking it.

I have one of those 25" inch fluorescent "stick" lights (similar to this) that puts out great light and doesn't use much energy. Aside from being cheap ($10), it seems exactly what I need. I cannot justify spending $200-300 for the "official" Liberty Safe accessory lighting system!!

The light is too heavy and having a carpeted interior, double stick tape is out of the question. Aside from laying the light on a shelf and using screws, is there any other magical way to get this sucker mounted? If screws are the only answer, what should I be looking for in terms of size and such? I'm also keeping in mind that this is a non-replaceable light so if it breaks, the entire unit is replaced.

Thanks!

A freind of mine uses "Rope Lighting" I think it's called.

I thought it worked pretty good, you can wind it around the outside perimiter of every shelf and down the sides.

I wanted to do it to mine but they didn't have it at Home Depot at the time I was motivated, and I forgot about doing the project.

FM

Rope lights rock because you can run them all over the place and hold them to carpeted interiors with strips of velcro. Run them off a motion sensor socket and you don't even have to drill the door for a switch.

If you use the rope lighting go to Lowes or somewhere else that has "P" clips. The clips provided with is broke after about 6 months on mine. I use short drywall screws to install the lights with the "P" clips. It will also keep the safe warm if you leave the light on over night. Good for those cold damp winter nights after a day of shooting.

I mounted two under-cabinet type lights from home depot. Tapped into the same power cord as the goldenrod. The lights have switches built into them. I mounted a short one across the top and a long one down the side.

I got a kit of three of those tap lights from Costco that are equipped with LED's (kit comes with the batteries 3AAA) best thing about them is they also come with their own Velcrotm, er, hook and loop mounting...perfect for carpeted interiors and battery life should be good.