Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I DQ'd the Nationals Today.

Jman

I want to share a few experiences I had at the Nationals after my...gulp...DQ. I spent several hours observing the Super Squad. Here is a "bad" pic I took that day.

PrepTime.jpg

..zoom in and see if you can id them. :rolleyes:

I'm sharing this particular image for a reason. Of all the skills, and they have a bunch, their preparation is amazing. Planning the shots and shooting the plan.

I would like to personally thank Robin Taylor of Front Sight Magazine. Robin "volunteered" me to operate the infrared remote for their "un-manned" down range camera. This was a great opportunity for me to get a unique perspective of the best in the business. Very challenging and fun. I'm not responsible for botched shots however. Robin is aware of my tricky trigger finger. Oh, and thanks for lunch Robin in case I forgot.

A special thanks to Jerry Miculek. He had some VERY cool things to say. But one thing in particular. He got my attention and said "hey, if you ain't wreckin' you ain't racin'. My week changed for the better right there.

To Jason and all of Squad 16. A super squad in it's own right. Without fail each RO crew thanked them for the stage help and smooth cooperation. All fine shooters and great energy.

...that's it. See ya at the range.

Jim

{snip}

A special thanks to Jerry Miculek. He had some VERY cool things to say. But one thing in particular. He got my attention and said "hey, if you ain't wreckin' you ain't racin'. My week changed for the better right there.

{snip}

Be sure you repay that debt forward when you come across another shooter that may be a little down... B)

Jimmy, I was sorry to hear about your problem when your squad got to "Crowded Corner" because I know how hyped you were to be coming to the Nationals. Maybe we can host again and you can come back and play.

Sorry to hear about the AD/DQ!

Yup, that is my biggest concern too, being a rookie and all.

Have had two matches so far, that went well... ...in the regard of not getting any DQ's.

The first match was a local match, so that wouldn't have hurt my feelings that much. (-yeah, right...)

The second was on home-turf back in Norway where I am from. That would be a proper downer if I had messed up, family and all watching, cheering and having a good time petting me with beverages and food between the stages.

Just to really put some extra pressure on me.

(-positive, but still. After all, I was to show off a bit, since they didn't know what IPSC was all about. :closedeyes: )

My third match, I believe will be the one that either 'kills' me, or makes me ten-folds more proud. That will be the EHC in France in September. 899 very good shooters (in my eyes) will be on my back over 4 days.

Going down there from Denmark, spending all my dough on airplane and sleeping in a car (need a sponsor!), 100% dedicated...

It would be a nightmare to get a DQ in stage 1, or something! :ph34r:

I believe I would get the harakiri/Seppuku-feeling too. Most likely it would be a lot less painful! :sick:

Anyhow, even the best manages to screw up. It is a good thing that the rules are so strict. It is a hard, but good lesson when it happens. It surely builds character. -And pity-beers do help out. Although, I thought You were the one to by the rounds, eyh? :P

Better run next time, Your head will be in its proper place, I am most sure of it!

:cheers:

Jimmy

On old Nationals vhs tapes you can see a great shooter, great guy who went on to win the World Shoot, making the same brain-fade mistake as you, just he was lucky to have the RO tell him rack the slide again, no Boom.

Weird stuff happens when your brain gets really busy.

• 3 months later...

Jimmy -

We've all been guilty of the brain farts or the "180MPH unload and show clear"...and the only allowance for error is the gun being pointed downrange. it's familiarity that sometimes gets us in trouble when a brain fart occurs!

Glad no one was hurt...

I've had shooters give me venomous looks when I again have them unload and show clear when I haven't seen (better yet, had the correct opportunity to see) the entire process as a good SO should, as my eyes are rated for 120MPH, not 180.... ;)

Let me pass along something that I learned in an excellent defensive gun class.

The instructor was demonstrating how to clear the gun - with screwups included, using dummy ammo. He played out the scenario you had with the mag still in, racking it once ejecting a round and then asking the class "is it clear"? Most answered yes...until he racked the slide again and again, ejecting more dummy rounds. He then dropped the mag, and with each word racked the slide - "IS IT CLEAR?"

I now use that demonstration as a mantra when doing an "unload and show clear" - whether at home or at a match. The slide is racked at least three times - (1) IS (2) IT (3) CLEAR??? If I've screwed the sequence and forgot to drop the mag, it'll become clear real quick if the mag still has rounds in it when they keep flying out of the gun. The third rack is then used to show the SO the empty chamber, finishing the sequence with the SO's "slide forward - hammer down - holster" commands.

Kudos to you, my friend - lesser men would have tucked their spanked tail between their legs and gone home.

Stay safe and keep 'em zero down! :D:cheers:

Edited by HiPowering Along

Good Day Jimmy and et al.,

It is an act that none of us want to deliberately commit. Hence the term AD. Fortunately, you have taken a path that puts you beyond the event in a positive and more enlightened way. Gathering support and advise from those with vast amounts of trigger time is advantageous. Your squad is fortunate to have you as a member. I'm glad to hear that you did not let this event derail the wonderful opportunity to participate at that level of our sport. Well Done!

I witnessed a similar situation at one of our regional matches where a GM level competitor played out a very similar situation. While there was an opportunity to debate the legality of the situation, the GM chose to “do the right thing” and accept full responsibility for the event and continue through it. The GM also chose to stay and support the squad throughout the rest of the multi-day event. Some of the best target pasting and stage advice I've witnessed.

Interesting coincidence, Jerry was at that match too! He is quite the gentleman. We are fortunate to have folks like you and Jerry participating. Thank you for sharing your story with us. While we can commiserate with you about a historical event. It is beneficial to continue on to make history!

Be well!

Jim was on my squad. He came back the next day, taped, painted and set steel, and hung out and he didn't have to. Of course I'm sure it didn't hurt that Miculek was in our squad. Actually 4 of the top 25 were in our squad. We all appreciated Jim coming back.

Class act for sure.... ;)

Plus a zillion for class. If it had of been me DQ'd I don't think I could've pasted etc with such a serious freeking hangover!

I haven't had a DQ in close to 10 years of match shooting but I recently came very close when I ran past a target and then jumped back to shoot it. The instant I shot I knew I came very close to breaking the 180 but I wasn't called on it. If I were convinced that I DID break the 180, am I allowed to DQ myself?

Just yesterday I fell flat on my face at a local match while running full speed and stepping into a patch of mud. I went down hard but in that fraction of a second I knew I had to control the muzzle and keep it downrange no matter what, even at the cost of falling in an awkward manner and injuring myself. My finger was off the trigger, the muzzle stayed pointed downrange and I was able to jump back up, bloody and muddy, and manage a good stage time.

Oh, there was also the time I was supposed to get a DQ at an IDPA State Match after they loaded the entire squad, kept us hot and told us to not leave the bay. After a short while I realized that I was missing a magazine, forgot that I was carrying a loaded gun and wandered over to the previous bay. I found the magazine but the SO saw me leave and come back and was going to DQ me. Problem was, you aren't supposed to keep the entire squad hot, so they had a short discussion and decided to give me a Procedural instead. So that was an interesting set of circumstances.

Dave Sinko