Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN A2 SPR IN 308

Larry LeBeau

I have narrowed down my chocies to a FN A2 in 308. The reasons for me is relatively low cost and "easy" to get. The gun would be used for MOR and and a occasional sniper match. Any problems with this choice? Are the detachable mags easy to get etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would avoid the FN 4 round, detachable magazine as those magazines are 1) hard to find 2) only four round capacity.

I would take a hinged floor plate over the FN magazine. Eventually someone will come out with bottom metal for the Win 70 / FN SPR that will take the AICS magazines.

I have narrowed down my chocies to a FN A2 in 308. The reasons for me is relatively low cost and "easy" to get. The gun would be used for MOR and and a occasional sniper match. Any problems with this choice? Are the detachable mags easy to get etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I think it is a very good rifle out of the box but with just a little work it will be a Great rifle..... The trigger is a little heavy for me from the factory and I also think it needs to be pillar bedded. I have noticed on my A1 (wish I would have gotten the A2 I just sent my stock off to McMillan to have an adjustable saddle type cheekpiece installed) that the action screws seem to loose their torque quite frequently. This does not seem to affect the accuracy much but I have noticed that when my groups start to have fliers the action screws are not at the 26in lbs that I set them to. So when I do get my stock back I am going to give it a pillar bed to see it this helps keep things a little more consistent.

I had some pretty good groups with 168gr SMK but with the 1 and 12 twist I have gotten my best and most consistent groups from 185 gr Berger's and 180 gr SMK's.

As for the mags I have not found any as of yet. When I do find them listed on someones site they are sold out and have a price somewhere between the range of $45.00 to $60.00. There has been talk (for the last two years) that FN was going to make a 10 round mag but so far that is all it seems to be. I have had no problems out of my mag but I have also not had it in the rough conditions that you might encounter in a sniper match.

Good luck!

Edited by PHolsted

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

CDNN is running a sale apparently on some of the FN PBR's. The barrelled actions, complete less stock were $400.00 and supposedly they are getting some stocks in next week that will sell for $120.00. Not sure what the condition is going to be, but for $520.00 I couldn't pass them up. Hopefully I'll be able to find some mags for them, they sound a bit hard to come by.

Ok, somebody on the Hide has already made the bottom metal for the FN SPR A1 in 308. Just looked for the posts and am finding nothing??? Anyone have a link to this bottom metal or know the guy making it?

Thanks

Thanks man!! Just found my info on it. I see no price listed though. Hmmmmm

nvm, your link is newer than mine.

Following the links on the left hand side gives

Bottom Metal:

* $259 Shipped free to Lower 48 States. Other shipping destinations available , call for details.

Magazines:

* 5 Round $68 + $5 Shipping

* 10 Round $75 + $5 Shipping

* Mags are shipped free when purchased with bottom metal as a package.

I have had one for about 6 months. They are really cool rifles. FN claims that they are working on a 10 round magazine. However, ETA is unknown. I bought mine from Tanners in PA. His prices are pretty good.

• 3 years later...

Does anybody know if FN ever got it together enough to make 10 round detachable box mags for the FN SPR/PBR in .308?

No idea on mags from FNH, but if you follow the link above for cdi you can get bottom metal and then use AI mags...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not much luck finding a 10 round mag for the FN-SPR A1 yet. But, I have heard the 10 round FN-SPR A5 mags can be modified to work.

Anybody tried it or have any details on how to do it?

The factory mags suck anyway. Much better to go ahead and get the CDI bottom metal and use the AI mags. I can bring mine to the next BOTW match if you want to check one out.

Shane