Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Times

bkeeler

Just got yesterday's score:

CDP 148.99 seconds total, with a whopping 88 points down!

Those three "low" misses of head shots on one target were almost enough on their own to keep me out of sharpshooter. :angry: Adding the rest of my suckage for the day, I'm surprised I did as well as I did. I think I must have been going a bit faster than I thought!

I need to re-check the zero on my gun (and hope that it will stop malfunctioning at inopportune times!). And maybe get a magwell (buy skill is possible! HAHAH!)

Don't beat yourself up about the classifier times. you were given a blessing, you now know what you need to work on.

Just some tips from someone who has been there. set yourself up some par times and practice until you get to those. ex

2 to body 1 to head 1.90 every time without fail ( one of my goals) now i can do these in the 1.6-7 range. but i want to be more consistant so i can do it every time on the classifier. practice the strings whee you drop the most points.

i have found i can shoot it wide open speed, and get about the same time as i can getting my hits.

and lots of dry fire on those strings, burn those set of skills into your memory so they are almost subconsious.

I have never seen a classifier run for score at a real club (not practice) by a non-pro shooter with a time less than about 85 seconds in any division. I've seen a number in this range and the breakdown of total scores (time plus points down) per stage was usually about S1: 26, S2: 23, S3: 36. I have seen Matt and Ernest shoot matches and I believe that they could shoot it much faster - I just haven't SEEN it. For an awesome shooter I believe the low 70's scores, but any lower I'd have to see to believe. It wouldn't be the first time I was amazed at how well a pro shooter can score!

-----------------------

Dave, get a grip!

I haven't heard Matt say it himself and describe the circumstances so I'll continue to doubt. I believe what I see, not much of what I hear or read, and even less of what I read on Internet forums.

I doubt your 70 something score even more based on what I've seen of your shooting over the last couple years. I can't say much more without breaking the politeness policy. All I can say is that some people don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Well, as far as Matt B. goes, I am just repeating what someone else quoted, I did not see it either, but I do not doubt that he could have done it...and,

Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn sometimes...

I did a search of the 1911 forum and found this discussion by Matt:

Classifier Times

If you don't want to visit the link here is the quote:

If the classifier times were set by using Rob's average times, they would be significantly faster. His best time on it was 56 seconds in ESP and if I remember correctly he averages about 65 for CDP. My average time for CDP is 68 seconds and for ESP 66. That's a far cry from the edge of 90 they call master. It would be great if they added a GM type class say 70 or 75 seconds and below. That would sure split up the IDPA master class ,which does have IPSC C to GM shooters in it, and make it more fair.

In another post at More on classifiers...

Matt posted:

I think one of the additional items that should be looked at is another level of classification in IDPA. There is a huge difference between the top shooters and bottom of the master division. Just like USPSA recognizing a GrandMaster division, I think it may be time to add one to IDPA. My time on the classifier was a 72.92 with my CDP. Significant difference between that and guys that just make it.

well, i'm glad my time is posted form a "match" so everyone can see it even if its not superb, and i can do better. :-)

I agree that master class has a huge division in skill level, however, i also see that there aren't more than 10 masters at any State level event in most cases. so i don't think there is a need for it.

i have no doubt on burketts or lethams times. scott warren said at the 2002 va commonwealth cups that on an average day he was in the mid 60's good day, low 60's. ... how many nationals has he won... i wouldn't question it. also scotts strongest point i believe is that he gets into position and sets up better than his competition.

Is it possible the master class is supposed to be a "feel good" for guys who can't make master in USPSA?

For some people, it will make a difference in their lives if they can claim they have the same classification as Rob Leatham and the other Big Boys & Girls.

rhino:

Don't take the discussion of classifier times too seriously. The IDPA classification system lends itself to grandbagging like no other. The sytem also fails to keep current with a shooter's skill level unless the shooter makes a point of shooting classifiers as they improve. It ain't exactly the best thought out system around...

rhino, most people don't shoot both sports, and if they do, and saying "i'm a master" makes them happy so be it. good for them, we all really know the truth B)

i don't like the title Master, sure it makes me feel fuzzy inside and all, but i'm FAR from MASTERING anything in shooting.

At the 2002 IDPA Nationals I spoke to Wilson and Hackathorn about creating a new "High Master" classification to add further granularity to the Master class. They thought that IDPA had more important problems to address that restructuring Master class. As mentioned there are rarely 10+ masters in a given division at any major match outside of Nationals. Although it's a bummer for Masters that can't touch Leatham, Warren, Sevigny, etc I can agree that there are other things that I would like to see get fixted sooner rather than later.

Heck I would like to see more guys stop sandbagging in the lower classes and make an effort to make Master with the current system. A lot of guys see it as a path to never getting a trophy again. In a trophy only sport that can be a bummer.

But I'd have to actually exert effort and shoot another classifier to make Sharpshooter. And I'd have to <cough> practice <cough> to classify as Expert. I'd rather stay inside in the air condition for now.

So I'm not sure it's sandbagging on my part, but rather just laziness. I'm no threat to win a trophy in any class anyway!