Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leaving my ATM card in the machine

swede

I got $200 from my local banks ATM machine on Friday. Normally I use "Fast Cash" option ($100 or less). The machine spits out the money,receipt, and card all at once, and you're free to walk away. I had to use the "withdraw" option because I was taking out more than $100. The machine spit out the money and the receipt. I had a complete brain fade and counted the money and walked away. This is where the machine prompts "Would you like another transaction?", and you may do so withou re-entering your pin. About three hours later, I realize what I've done and called the bank. Someone had taken out $100 out of my account 3 minutes after I had got my withdrwal. Luckily there's a $300 daily withdrawal limit. They initially requested to steal $200, but were denied. The card had to cancelled, and it may take up to 2 weeks to get a new one. I'm comepltely dependent on my debit card for everything. I'm being forced to use these antique things called "check". I don't think they even accept these at the gas station anymore. Luckily I can go to the bank today and get some cash. I just hope they haven't frozen my entire account....

Swede

Does you bank have a photo of the miscreant?

Also, your liability may be limited to $50 since it is undisputed that you did not give consent. The banks would like to have customers buy into the logic of "any use with your PIN is, by definition, agreed to be authorized use", however, it doesn't alway work that way when you look at the specific laws governing this sort of thing. Bank of America learned this the hard way when someone had $90K transferred out of their account via a hacked home computer (keystroke logger) and tried to hide behind "It was your PIN, so you agreed that the transaction is accepted as authorized.". BOA lost.

Does you bank have a photo of the miscreant?

Also, your liability may be limited to $50 since it is undisputed that you did not give consent. The banks would like to have customers buy into the logic of "any use with your PIN is, by definition, agreed to be authorized use", however, it doesn't alway work that way when you look at the specific laws governing this sort of thing. Bank of America learned this the hard way when someone had $90K transferred out of their account via a hacked home computer (keystroke logger) and tried to hide behind "It was your PIN, so you agreed that the transaction is accepted as authorized.". BOA lost.

This is Bank of America, and they are crediting the $100 back to my account. The fist person I talked to said this would probably fall under the "authorized use" exemption. When I spoke with a person in the Fraudelent use claims department, I was told the money would be credited to me in a few days. They should have the perp (or actor as they now refer them on cops) on camera, but I'm not sure they'll pursue the issue over a hundred bucks. Chances are it's even a customer of that bank that was planning on using the ATM. My guess is they'll look at the photo to make I sure I didn't take the money and am lying about it.

Swede

I feel your pain on the loss of the card. I was getting cash out of the ATM at work Thursday. I had just changed banks and this was the first time I used this particular ATM. I realized I did not want to use the FAST CASH option and hit the cancel button. The machine starts beeping at me and I can't figure out what the problem is. One of my coworkers shows up and says the card is stuck trying to come out. I look and see one of the corners had got bent and it was caught trying to exit the ATM. Of course by this time, the machine decided it needed to clear itself and I hear the kerchunk-chunk of the card being popped into cold storage. The credit union says they service the machines on Wednesday so I should have it back soon. I'm just glad I had one of those old paper things I could cash.

John

I been to an ATM outside a BofA where someone did what you did. For about one fast split, I thought about withdrawling some cash. But by the time you shoot a slow split, I had already hit cancel and turned the card into the bank.

I was 2nd in line for my local ATM, the guy in front of me keeps trying to do something on the keypad but the machine just sits there. He gives up and goes inside the bank. I walk up and I can't insert my card in the machine. Then the screen displays "Would like more time?". I hit no, and out pops a VISA card. I go in the bank to give back to the guy, and he tells me it's not his. Someone somewhere is not a happy camper.

Bruce