Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Powder Start-Up/Calibration

Eager

My 550 is about ready to go. Per the video I've got to the step where I've just loaded primers in the primer mag. This is prior to adding and adjusting the powder system. Per the video, my very next step is to test the primer seating by installing at least one primer in a case.

I've noticed that the video then goes into adding powder, and powder system adjustment. I haven't actually watched that part yet however the following question has arisen for me regarding the powder adjustment process:

Will primers puke out of the primer installation thing (without doing something to prevent this) if I'm just playing with cases at the powder addition station?

In this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...+Powder+Measure

I saw a suggestion to do something with the primer cam to assumedly deactivate the primer addition while dumping test charges.

Do I need to deactivate the primer addition system before adjusting the powder system? Perhaps the video goes into this but I didn't catch it if it did. I don't want to dump primers into the cup or on the floor.

Edited by Eager

No, they won't puke out. It only drops a primer when it needs a primer, same for the powder measure.

Get close with the powder, maybe a tenth or two under, then tweak it in dead on while loading progressively. That is the most reliable method of getting it set. Throw the first 20 rounds or however many it takes to get it adjusted dead on in the practice ammo pile.

it may seem common sense to most, but very little about setting up a press for the first time is. I recently went through severe growing pains, and know what you're looking for.

Yes, it is best to "deactivate" the primer system...even better to not have primers in it when calibrating the powder measure. At any rate, if you have already loaded the primers, all you have to do is remove the wire bar that runs vertically between the white wheel attached to the primer bar, and let it swing free. this will keep the primers from being cycled.

I have thread in here somewhere titled "Things NOT to do with your Dillon 550", and a few folks have contributed helpful information on things to avoid when you first start reloading. Good luck! :D

Get your primer system set then leave it alone while adjusting the powder measure. It hurts nothing to work the press with a live primer in the primer cup. The primer feeder will not (should not anyway) drop another primer until that one has been loaded into a case.

From past experience, you definitely want a new primer in the case being used to adjust the powder measure....

Two votes for (not deactivating the primer syst), one against. :blink:

[sarcasm]Maybe I'll flip a coin[/sarcasm]

Can anybody add some detail as to why or why not it should be deactivated during powder play? Can anybody give details on where the primers go during this?

It isn't necessary to deactivate it, but I find that when a primer is in the cup and not being used, it easily flips and catches on the star, which slows things down and tends to piss me off. Easy enough to simply remove it from the equation during setup of the powder die.

I do not activate the ram or rotate the shellplate when setting powder drop weight; I just take a 45 colt shell and push it up to drop powder, (the rod is out at the bottom) and pull the rod down to recharge the drop. Do this four times, weigh it, and divide by four. When thats right, put the rod back at the bottom.

You will always be more accurate with averages from at least four drops, and ten are better. I today saw a balance beam scale that was 30% off under 5 grains, but pretty close at 50.

OK i got it all worked out and loaded some rounds. Everything went smoothly.

I ended up leaving the primer in the cup since I really don't know the procedure for removing the rod thing yet. I'll work on that yet.

Another thing I wouldn't have guessed if someone hadn't mentioned it here is that powder doesn't drop unless there's case in the station.

Testing tomorrow.

I am of the camp of not worrying about emptying the primer cup. It's a cup, when the cup is full another can't fill the cup. I have never had one flip upside down on me. In fact my primer cup/tube has never been empty since i got this machine. My routine is to run one through the sizing station, rotate the star to the powder station and cycle the machine. Then remove the little brass plug and remove the shell with powder and weigh the powder and dump it back into the powder measure and repeat 2-3 times. (remember to replace the brass plug.) After you get the machine set up you will find that your batch will tend to equal the number of primer tubes you currently have and you should check all of your stations (powder, length,and crimp) at the beginning of a batch and then every couple of hundred +- during a run. While you are setting up the machine take your time and check often. You will need to fine tune after you run the first 20-30 +-. After that it will require very little adjustment as long as you don't change powder and bullets. Remember to empty the powder measure when you are done or your tube will turn black and your powder won't meter consistantly. Just pull the two pins on the die assembly and remove the whole thing then you can put eyeballs on the bottom to ensure that no gunk or garbage are caught in the dies. Have fun.

Remember to empty the powder measure when you are done or your tube will turn black and your powder won't meter consistantly. Just pull the two pins on the die assembly and remove the whole thing then you can put eyeballs on the bottom to ensure that no gunk or garbage are caught in the dies. Have fun.

OK. How does one empty the powder reservoir?

It was in the section you highlighted. You remove the two black pins (tool head pins 14008) that hold the tool head (13909) that all of the dies screw into. Then disconnect the failsafe rod (97000) from the return bracket (13885, It says this end up on it) and slide the tool head out, take the cap off the powder measure and dump it into your powder container. When you disconnect the failsafe rod it helps to pull the handle a little to lift the white plastic thing up, then it snaps out of the slot in the return bracket. Then just slide the toolhead back into the slot insert the two pins and connect the rod and your back in business. the part numbers can be found in your manuel on pages two and three. There may be other ways to do it but this is how i do it.

I undo the failsafe rod, then just unscrew the bolts (part#14037) that tighten the locking collar (part#13939) onto the powder die, the powder measure comes right off. When dumping powder out of the measure (while its upside down) make sure you cycle the powder bar to release any powder in the bar itself.

Remember to empty the powder measure when you are done or your tube will turn black and your powder won't meter consistantly.

You'll find lots of dillon users who completely disagree with this statement. The tube might get a yellowish tint over time, but it's cosmetic only. The plastic tube can be replaced if it bothers you.

I'm asking for proof on the "powder won't meter consistantly" statement.

It is a decent idea to return powder to the original container for storage, but absolutely not required.

Edited by 1911user

Here was my reasoning for that statment. When I got my 550 I filled the tube and just kept adding to it when it got low. There were times when i didn't load for a couple of weeks and the thing would just set there. When shooting season really got going and i had to chrono my loads they were all over the place. There weren't any that were too high but lots of them came in low. I only load .40 cal with the same powder and the same bullet. So I put a question to this forum about this problem and also asked a number of shooters in my local club and they seemed to think that the powder can be affected by humidity and gravity and pack down a little and wont meter consistantly until the machine is cycled a few times and suggested i empty the powder measure if I wont be loading for a while. So that is what I now do and my chrono's have been very consistant since i started doing it. Is it required, heck no, but it sure won't hurt anything either. I am a long way from the lord thy god of reloading and am only sharing my process and accept the fact that the reader can ignor me if he so chooses.

It is a known issue with adjustable volume powder measures that powder inside can pack if the machine isn't used for a while. The main issue is stray vibration that packs and settles the powder slightly during the down period. Sun or bright light can degrade the powder over time. That's why powder bottles are solid black color. When leaving a measure with powder in it, I use a cover to keep light out. An empty Pringles potato chip can fits nicely over the hopper.

If you don't want to dump the powder after every loading session, just cycle the powder measure about 10 times (and dump the powder back in the hopper). Do this before starting a new loading session. It's easy with a 550. Consistent operating technique gives the best powder dispensing results.

The reason for removing the powder from the reservoir if it nis not to be used for extended periods is to prevent what I believe is called "bridging". This occurs when the powder has settled and starts to bind upon itself causing uneven metering.

You can either empty or cover the powder tube between loading sessions, or do as I do... a wooden dowel is used to stir the powder thouroughly after it has been sitting for more than a few days. This breaks up any binding that the powder has done without having to go through what I consider the hassle of dumping it all back into the container.

Hmm, I have used the 550 since the mid-eighties, a 650 for three plus years and have not experienced any of the problems listed, other than the container turning yellow. I always leave powder in the tube and just add as needed. I always check the first couple of cases for amount of powder, but only on a couple of occasions have I found a difference from when I left it. It was probably throwing out of "tune" and I didn't know it.

The first throw will be powder left in the powder bar from the last session. That should be the same amount as you were loading. The next will start with fresh powder from the powder reservoir, if packed, it could be different. I am not saying that it cannot happen, but I have loaded about as much as anyone, other than a commercial re-loader, and have not seen it happen. Maybe it's the powders I use.

I always tape a piece of paper to the powder tube with the name of the powder, amount of charge, bullet weight, and bullet type that should be used. When I return to the bench there is no chance of me thinking I was loading something else and having a big mistake.

Use caution and double check everything and there should be no problems.

Buddy