Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trimming without sizing on the 1200B?

• 5 months later...
Sorry, not possible with our trim dies. They are designed to combine the steps of sizing and trimming, because cases stretch when resized.

Found this thread while searching on trimmers, and would love some feedback from Dillon or experienced 1200 users.

I'm about to start loading .223 and came into a bunch of mil brass for free, so I'm reading up on what I need to load on my 550. I just this weekend ordered a sizer die and tool head for my 550 and the swager 600 (figured that would keep me busy for a couple weeks sizing/decapping and swaging).

My question is this: If I size the cases first, and then in another step run them through the 1200, will this work? Will the cases then spin like Tom Freeman mentioned since they have already been sized down and will be held in the trimmer with less tension? Should I just get a universal decapper and swage now and do the sizing in the trimmer?

From my search it seems several people are in fact running sizing dies prior to the trimmer, but I wanted to make sure I don't regret doing something...

Thanks!!

Edited by rvb

Nope, they don't spin. I size my 223 rem's with a small base die on stage 2 after punching the primer on stage 1 (univ decapping die). I run it through the 1200B on stage 4 with no issues.

Thanks for the reply!

-rvb

+1 to sargenv,

Brass cases have some resiliency. After being sized, they spring back a bit. This is more than enough to hold the case in place while trimming. :ph34r:

Thanks! I figured that was the "case." But I wanted to make sure since you mentioned it was designed to both size and trim. With .223 prices the way they are, I bet you guys are moving a ton of related equipment...

Thanks again,

-rvb