Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm a California resident. I'm planning on traveling to FL in July with my current STI open gun in 38 Super. I'm going to ship the gun to myself in FL and insure it for a few grand.

What happens if UPS loses my gun?

According to the DOJ, private party transfers are exempt from the CA gun list. Does that include buying from an out of state private party?

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

My back up plan to a private party transfer would be to buy a Barsto STI gun in .40 and get a 38 super top end. Or would it be easier to convert the SVI .45 to 38 Super?

Hopefully UPS won't lose my gun and this will all be hypothetical.

With the problems some people are facing with UPS these days :angry2: . insure it for more than the guns worth or what a replacement would cost. I would insure it for $3000+ not including magazines. I would either bring the magazines with me in my check in luggage or ship them but raise the insurace accordingly. Hopefully with the high cost of insurance coverage, UPS won't lose it.

You can go either way with your backup plan. The SVI approved for sale in kalifornia comes with a replacement breech face so all you would need to do is change the barrel and breech face (possibly the ejector and extractor also), get a scope, mount and comp and you should be good to go. The barsto will require a whole new top end. Either way you go will cost you around $3000 if not more.

Guns that are not on the list are exempt from private party transfers if both BUYER and SELLER are california residents.

Not sure on the handgun shipping policy with UPS but is self to self shipping for guns ok? Haven't done it myself but this is something i would like to know

Hi there,

Hiro pretty much nailed it. If the gun is not on the list it can not be imported for sale no matter what the source is.

I never though about shipping a gun. I am not sure if you can ship a handgun to a non-licensed person (yourself). Interesting. Why not just bring it with you on what ever travel medium you are using? I see you have a HB location. Where do you shoot locally?

Later,

Chuck

Chuck & gdboytyler,

I may have to explore the shipping of handgun to yourself option a bit further. The insurance coverage the airline provides for lost luggage has been bumped up to $3000 (united) from $2800. Just about covers for a lost gun but not anything else (cali replacement cost). I'm not sure if there is extra coverage you can buy. Flying the last time to florida was a bit nerve wracking. 2 SVI's (a backup just in case), a bunch of mags and other stuff easily goes over the insurance limit.

You can ship the gun to yourself without an FFL; just make sure your name is the ship to/from. PPT is only needed for a transfer from one resident to another for sale or loan. You are not moving out of state so it does not have any bearing on it being rostered or not. CA 01 FFLs can buy/receive anything they want (barring NFA/Class III or outright banned AWs) in CA they are responsible to ensure compliance when selling the firearm, the out of state seller/dealer just has to ship to an 01 FFL. LEOs are exempt from "rostered" handguns in CA. Nothing says a 01 FFL in CA cannot stock non-rostered handguns they just can't sell them to anyone other than LEOs or ship back out of state to another FFL for transfer following a sale (internet, auction, etc.) Just cause some folks don't want to ship to CA doesn't mean 01s can't receive them.

Take it with you on the plane (check-in) less hassle than shipping to a hotel before you arrive. Ship the ammo.

The SVI approved for sale in kalifornia comes with a replacement breech face so all you would need to do is change the barrel and breech face (possibly the ejector and extractor also), get a scope, mount and comp and you should be good to go. The barsto will require a whole new top end. Either way you go will cost you around $3000 if not more.

….

Not sure on the handgun shipping policy with UPS but is self to self shipping for guns ok? Haven't done it myself but this is something i would like to know

If UPS loses my gun, I’ll have to go with the SVI with replacement breech face.

Here's the ATF FAQ:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Why not just bring it with you on what ever travel medium you are using? I see you have a HB location. Where do you shoot locally?

Later,

Chuck

I'm staying at a friend's house so it will be shipped to friend's house; I'll be shipping the gun to myself, in care of friend. As yoshidaex mentioned earlier, airline insurance wouldn't cover the cost of replacing the gun, mags, ammo and clothes.

I plan on checking in the max amount of ammo allowed by the airlines.

Locally, I’ve been shooting at SharpShooter in Torrance because they allow rapid fire. I work in Torrance, so it’s easy to go to SharpShooter right after work. I also plan on shooting at the Running Gun match at Norco this weekend. It will be my first match since 1996.

I'm a California resident. I'm planning on traveling to FL in July with my current STI open gun in 38 Super. I'm going to ship the gun to myself in FL and insure it for a few grand.

What happens if UPS loses my gun?

They pay you the insured value

According to the DOJ, private party transfers are exempt from the CA gun list. Does that include buying from an out of state private party?

Absolutely NOT. If we could legally buy through the mail from out-of-state private parties.... we would be doing it. Such PPT sales must be face-to-face at a kali FFL buying a gun which is already legally in the state.

Edited by bountyhunter

Absolutely NOT. If we could legally buy through the mail from out-of-state private parties.... we would be doing it. Such PPT sales must be face-to-face at a kali FFL buying a gun which is already legally in the state.

I was hoping I could have my friend in FL buy an STI and then sell it to me via PPT. Alright then, it will be time for a new SVI if UPS loses my gun. I'll make sure to ensure it for the cost of a new .45 from SVI and the cost to covert it to 38 Super.

California laws have almost made my 12 y/o gun priceless :angry2:

Is it worth looking into buying extra insurance and just taking it on the plane with you?

I can't think that would cost more. Even with the stories we sometimes hear about lost stuff in the airlines...I think it would be safer than shipping?

• 1 month later...
Is it worth looking into buying extra insurance and just taking it on the plane with you?

I can't think that would cost more. Even with the stories we sometimes hear about lost stuff in the airlines...I think it would be safer than shipping?

I researched buying extra insurance for checked luggage, and the ones I found were included with 3rd party travel insurance (includes trip cancellation, etc.). The supplemental insurance would cover about $1000 over what the airlines doensn't cover. And these policies look at the depreciated cost, NOT cost of replacement. The airlines I'm using (United) doesn't offer their own supplemental luggage insurance.

For UPS, they charge $1.75 per $100 of insured value. So shipping my gun to FL and insuring it for $3200 would cost $109!!!

I'm moving this weekend and I decided to get renter's insurance. The renter's insurance policy will cover anything that could be lost on the flight. My renter's insurance is only $168/year with a $250 deductible.

So now, I'll just put my STI in checked luggage, and hope for the best.

I leave for FL on Monday.

First on the legality of PPT.

If the gun is not legally DROS'ed into the state, you cannot do a private party transfer. Period. You also cannot do a PPT with someone from out of state. I'm sure someone will throw in the blood relative loophole, but for most cases, the above is the key. Doing a PPT with some from out of state and then trying to bring that handgun into the state, doing the paperwork or otherwise, is highly illegal. Besides, the theory of having one gun while waiting for another, and just in case UPS loses the first, sounds shady as hell.

As for traveling with firearms. If you're flying with a reputable carrier, there's no real concern of your gun being lost/stolen. I say this after flying a ton with guns as well as flying with friends/fellow shooters who do so much more than I do with zero difficulties. If you're that concerned, the insurance available at the airlines is VERY cheap. In my case, my homeowner's insurance covers it. The airline you're flying makes a huge difference though.

If you're that concerned, just ship the gun to your friends. UPS is the best! Next Day Saver and just hold on to the tracking number. No big deal.

Rich