Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to STI for open

TimWarner

What do I need to know?

buying a used 9x19 open gun built by Redline

Got 4 140mm STI mags w/spacers, and 1 170mm w/spacer (dawson said to use the spacers, so I figured that's where to start) and the dawson tool-less basepads. The basepads are super nice compared to the Taylor glock ones I'm used to, that require an allen to remove.

I already load short 9 major for my glock, so it would be nice to use the same load, but it's not a requirement.

What can I do to tune the mags? I'm used to my glocks holding 30+1, the STI's only hold 27+1.

Also, if I end up pulling the spacers, do I need to get a different follower, or will the shortened one work?

What weight springs should I be looking towards? not sure what's in it now, but I plan on buying a few and doing some testing.

Got a limcat holster, CR speed belt, and Probably getting speedcomp mag pouches.

sti2.jpg

Edited by TimWarner

In case anyone cares, I'm switching from this here, that I built last spring.

jpoint2.JPG

Everyone has been beating me senseless with this "upgrade to a real gun" BS, even though I've been real broke lately, I found a local one for a reasonable(cheap) price.

I'm going crazy waiting to pick it up on Sat.

I have mags and holster and everything sitting here next to me, taunting me.

The way to shut those guys up is to kick their ass w/ your Open Tupperware ;):lol:

I can't help you w/ the 9x19 specifics (no experience there w/ these guns). However... even in rimless .38 Super, the max that most folks get in a 100% reliable USPSA legal 170mm tube is 29. For IPSC length tubes, 28. Some folks have managed a little bit more with "interesting" configurations - some work better than others. My advice would be to not believe "It runs 100%!!" with those until you see it yourself ;)

With a Dawson +1, the most you might get is 28 - the +2 pad is too long for modern 170mm tubes, unfortunately. Short of cutting coils on the mag springs, there's not a whole lot of way to make the tubes hold much more than that...

I have two USPSA legal 170mm tubes - one is an STI, the other an SV. Both have the same basepad and guts, and both have been tuned by a "name" gunsmith. The STI holds 28, the SV holds 29. Go figure... ;)

I did kick their asses with home built open tupperware... apparently they think it should happen more often. Who knows.

It ain't the gun it's the driver. ;)

Edited by JThompson

you'll need the spacers so the bullet doen't do a nosedive (ask me how i know :o ) into the feed ramp and cause a jam from hell (well, how about half way from here to hell). The 9x19 round is just short enough where it will barely clear the front rib. It'll run, but if you come across brass that is a bit too short, you'll have that jam.

Loading long, depending from gun to gun, may help with feeding. If the length you use in your glock now feeds just as well in the STI, leave it. If it doesn't, start experimenting with OAL. I'm at 1.17 oal and feel any longer with the spacers i'm using, the nose of the bullet will start dragging in the mag.

I get 29+1 from 2 of my Beven Grams tuned mags. Its a B!+$% to load them at the start but very beneficial if I can get away without having to reload for a COF. If I have to do a reload anyway, I'll just use it with 28+1. I've been hearing about how the 29+1 loaded mags have a tendency to crack the area around the mag catch hence my 28+1 start and not the 29+1.

I'm not sure but forum member HSMITH does a mod to STI mags that allow you to run without spacers (I think it was him but don't quote me on this. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong). I think its a good idea but for me running a stainless steel spacer loose in the mag rattles enough to remind me i'm getting low on rounds :P

Edited by yoshidaex

you'll need the spacers so the bullet doen't do a nosedive (ask me how i know :o ) into the feed ramp and cause a jam from hell (well, how about half way from here to hell). The 9x19 round is just short enough where it will barely clear the front rib. It'll run, but if you come across brass that is a bit too short, you'll have that jam.

Loading long, depending from gun to gun, may help with feeding. If the length you use in your glock now feeds just as well in the STI, leave it. If it doesn't, start experimenting with OAL. I'm at 1.17 oal and feel any longer with the spacers i'm using, the nose of the bullet will start dragging in the mag.

I get 29+1 from 2 of my Beven Grams tuned mags. Its a B!+$% to load them at the start but very beneficial if I can get away without having to reload for a COF. If I have to do a reload anyway, I'll just use it with 28+1. I've been hearing about how the 29+1 loaded mags have a tendency to crack the area around the mag catch hence my 28+1 start and not the 29+1.

I'm not sure but forum member HSMITH does a mod to STI mags that allow you to run without spacers (I think it was him but don't quote me on this. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong). I think its a good idea but for me running a stainless steel spacer loose in the mag rattles enough to remind me i'm getting low on rounds :P

He runs a very long OAl though too... I think he said 1.200

Tim,

I have been shooting 9X19 Major STI for awhile now. I am not an expert, but here are some of my experiences.

I have one STI big stick built and tuned by Bevan. It runs great. It also cost a lot of $$$. It does get 29 rounds and has the stainless steel spacer welded in. Here is my opinion, Bevan does awesome work, but the $$$ are wasted (IMHO). Your OAL according to Bevan should not exceed 1.175- I load to 1.168.

I have two used SVI big sticks (never been tuned to my knowledge). I run Bevan's 38Super followers and his springs. Both SVI's hold 28 and in 3K rounds I had one nose dive. I replaced the spring and good to go. All my big sticks have Bevan bases.

I bought 4 new SVI 140 mag tubes and slapped 11 coil Bevan springs and 38Super followers(long ones) with +2 Dawson bases. They hold 24 rounds and run 100%. I do not run spacers in my SVI mags. I personally dislike the added weight of the steel spacers.

Hope this helps.

You need spacers in the STI mags, you can Run without spacers in SVI mags. I had lots of mag related problems with the sti mags with spacers that all went away just by switching to the SVI mags (no spacers). 3 170's and 3 140's and all run 100%.

Try your load in the sti but you may need to load longer for relaible feeding, I'm currently at 1.175 OAL.

Recoil springs? Currently using a 10lb. with great results. In my back up gun I use a light Recoil master.

Yoshida, I do modify the STI mags to run without spacers. There are quite a few of them out there right now being tested....

Jim, I do load long, but more for case capacity than anything else. Some of the powders I have run won't allow an OAL much shorter. Factory though 1.250" doesn't matter to my gun or magazines.

HSMITH,

I thought it was you doing the mag modification ^_^ . I was thinking of having our machine shop make a forming die so i could make a sti mag into svi mag (rib modification only) but felt it would have been a waste of time on our shops part. If I was still shooting 125 grainers at 1.200, your mod would have been an option but i seem to like the 115 grainers at 1.170 a bit more (better dot tracking in my opinion). Will your modified mags work with shorter rounds? The spacers work for me at the moment and I prefer to leave them loose. Having them spot welded in leaves an area for fine sand or dirt to collect. With enough drops into the dirt, I'm sure that space will be full of dirt and no matter how much you clean them you'll still be left with a mag with some dirt in it. Not a very reassuring thought when you're just about to start on a HHF course :( .

Yoshida, length used in the mags I modify is from factory to as long as you can make them. Most of the testing being done now is from factory length to 1.170". Forming in an SV type center rib probably wouldn't work, there is too much material on the sides with nowhere to go. Shoot me an email or a PM if you want to talk about it more, we are drifting the thread pretty badly at this point ;)

Back on topic: Tim, 27 is pretty typical in an STI 170 with 9mm and full length springs. You can clip a coil or two and get another round. A few will hold 29, but not many will run 100% with 29 rounds of 9mm in them. SV mags will usually hold 29 rounds and run great, but they are spendy. STI 140's usually only hold 21 or 22 rounds of 9mm if you want the best reliability. Load more than that and you can get rounds under the ribs making it a big rattle. I only run 21 rounds in them with a Dawson +1 pad. If you run a longer pad than that you will want the Arredondo basepad insert, it has little plastic fingers that keep the rounds spaced right. SV 140's with the right basepad will run 24 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

is it normal to get obsessive/compulsive with these things?

I ran out of ammo boxes to fill, so I'm done reloading for the week.

Been practicing every night. 50-100 rounds of drawing from the holster, with a .8sec par set. Dry fire each time. Couple hundred practice reloads, lots more dry fire.

Got my basement set up with targets all over on the walls to practice more.

I'm a tinkerer, but I've refrained doing anything aside from dropping my trigger to a little under 2, switching from a 10 to 8# recoil spring, and adding a thumb rest.

Anyone got a recommendation for lube to use on the cone comp? seems to burn off pretty quick with the ports. Just got some slide glide lite, but if there's something better, share!

• 1 month later...
is it normal to get obsessive/compulsive with these things?

I ran out of ammo boxes to fill, so I'm done reloading for the week.

Been practicing every night. 50-100 rounds of drawing from the holster, with a .8sec par set. Dry fire each time. Couple hundred practice reloads, lots more dry fire.

Got my basement set up with targets all over on the walls to practice more.

I'm a tinkerer, but I've refrained doing anything aside from dropping my trigger to a little under 2, switching from a 10 to 8# recoil spring, and adding a thumb rest.

Anyone got a recommendation for lube to use on the cone comp? seems to burn off pretty quick with the ports. Just got some slide glide lite, but if there's something better, share!

Try coastal engine assembly lube If it can stand up to high engine temps in high HP motors

is should be ok in your gun. Thats what I use.