Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the official call on this?

chuckbradley

Ok I am too lazy to look through the rule book and I dont recall a rule that applies.

Shooter is in box A of a standards course. He finishes the string. The RO says prepare for the next string. He steps 2 steps forward to the next box gun in hand. I tell him he should holster first before moving out of the box. I was the score keeper and the junior shooters Father. I figure it was during the course of fire and after the LMR command so he can handle his gun. I dont recall a rule that says he must holster before moving to the next box.

Anybody have a rule?

Ok I am too lazy to look through the rule book and I dont recall a rule that applies.

Shooter is in box A of a standards course. He finishes the string. The RO says prepare for the next string. He steps 2 steps forward to the next box gun in hand. I tell him he should holster first before moving out of the box. I was the score keeper and the junior shooters Father. I figure it was during the course of fire and after the LMR command so he can handle his gun. I dont recall a rule that says he must holster before moving to the next box.

Anybody have a rule?

The short answer is: there is no rule. Given that you can't start a course of fire while touching the gun, he has to holster or put the gun somewhere prior to the next string, but walking from one position to another is OK, as long as no other safety rules were broken. Doesn't sound like any were, so he was good to go. Most RO's say "reload and holster" or something like that between strings, but there isn't a rule that says you have to.

Hope this helps.

Troy

My choice in these situatiations has long been, "Reload if necessary and holster a hot, safe weapon."

But as Troy said, I wouldn't/couldn't DQ someone for heading to the next box before holstering. I'd just repeat the previous instruction REAL LOUD!

FWIW...IPSC has this:

8.3.5.1 When conducting Standard Exercises, Range Officials may issue other interim commands on

completion of the first string, in order to prepare the competitor for the second and subsequent

strings (e.g. "Reload if required and holster"). Any such interim commands to be used must be

clearly stated in the written stage briefing.

(Even under the IPSC rule...I still don't think a DQ would/could be called.)