Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody File an EGW FP Stop to Fit Bomar Sights?

Eager

I'd like to install an EGW oversized firing pin stop on my new STI Trojan, along with an Aftec extractor.

The Trojan has STI (Bomar like) rear sights that require the top of the firing pin stop to be cut off as shown in the photo below. Can I (with my moderate hand tool skills) reasonably expect to remove the correct amount of metal from the top of the FP stop with a hand file, all the while maintining acceptable tolerances? Does it matter if it's uneven or ugly?

The EGW oversized FP stop does not come pre-shaved like the STI model does.

Firingpinstop_280w.jpg

Who has done this, and how?

Here's a pic of the EGW oversized FP stop:

fpstop.jpg

Edited by Eager

Not to be devil's advocate but why ? What's wrong with your current STI one ? The Aetec needs part of the stop rounded.

Plus one on the file. Havent done a 1911 but a Hipower, I left it installed when cutting the flat on the rear of the slide for a Novak.

Not to be devil's advocate but why ? What's wrong with your current STI one ? The Aetec needs part of the stop rounded.

Plus one on the file. Havent done a 1911 but a Hipower, I left it installed when cutting the flat on the rear of the slide for a Novak.

Because some people like a squared radius on the bottom like the EGW. The STI has a large bevel.

I have seen some pretty darn bad extractor clocking with stock stops in STI slides too, enough clocking to keep the gun from running well. Much more critical in an Open gun but still an issue in EVERY gun.