Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver accuracy

Flexmoney

OK...next question.

How come, from my unofficial observations, Revolver shooters tend to shoot more Alphas than the auto gun shooters?

Flex,

We ain't got enough bullets to waste any. :ph34r: We can't be slingin' lead around like those people who have spare bullets. :closedeyes:

Or - - - - Maybe it's the Indian not the arrow. :cheers:

Also that long trigger pull gives you more time to line up the sights. :)

Or maybe Revolver shooters are just in a higher state of Zen-ness. :unsure:

I have seen 353 FA's shoot under 3" at 100 yards. I have never seen a 1911 do that.

That's only because .45 ACP is not a 100-yard cartridge.

That's not fair to say that. I think that most revolvers would have a hard time too! I know, you want to hit me with IHMSA style shooting, which is out to 175yds.

The FA 22 we give any 22 auto a run for the money as well.

Hammerli? Pardini? Or even a good High Standard? The Ransom Rest tells no lies....(and I happen to own one!).... ;)

Do you think that is due to the differences between revolvers and automatics, or the difference between the workmanship of Hammerli and Smith & Wesson?

Makes me wonder what would happen if Hammerli ever decided to make a revolver .... B)

The debate over semi vs revolver accuracy has gone on for years and will never die out. Any firearm can be "Built" to be accurate. The thing for accuracy that needs to be brought into the equation even with the Ransom Rest is the ammunition.

Tests have been done comparing the S&W 41 to the 17. The ammo was always the factor in the accuracy. The 17 liked some ammo better than the 41 and vice versa.

As for the statement on the K22 and 1955 being abandoned, I have a friend who is an Olympic class shooter that still shoots a real good score with a K22, K32, a K38, and a 1955. he tailored the ammo to the guns. But what do I know I just switched my Bulls eye gun from a 617 to a Ruger. (All due to hands not accuracy)

not too many autos on the silhouette line - but that's because of the cartridges.

I agree both can have their tolerances reduced enough to shoot really well, and that it just costs twice as much to do it with an auto.

here's a point not made about the .22's though- both fixed barrel and fixed chamber! best of both, just like a rifle, and super cheap to make. for $3-400 they'll shoot with some pretty spendy centerfires!

i'm still hurting for a 617 though, for cheap practice and because they're cool!